• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small Time QNAP Fanless Backup System For Me

player

I just bought a QNAP fanless 2 bay NAS (network attached storage) and two 4 terabyte hard drives.

I will hook it up to my network and be able to have a 4 terrabyte drive with a 4 terrabyte ghost drive. If I like it I will buy a 3rd drive so every week I can swap out the ghost drive and take it off site.

I will be setting up the NAS to a raid 1, which is what I described above. One drive and another exact copy as it goes.

I looked at the different brands of NAS but the QNAP apparently has the most comprehensive and easiest software. I will have enough space to get a bootable copy of my C drive, and all my data. I cannot do incremental copies of the C drive, but if I do a mirror copy every month or so I should be OK if I have a crash. I am also looking at putting in a second SS drive in my PC as a raid 1 with the C drive so I will have a copy of it as well on the fly. The only catch is I have to take all the info off the C drive, set up the raid 1 then reinstall the mirror back to the C.

Anyhow I thought someone might be interested in my small NAS setup. The QNAP was $289 and the WD Red 4 terabyte drives were $189 each. It cost about $750 Canadian for the setup. I should not be at risk of losing all my data and software setup if I have a crash.

QNAP_HS-210_02.jpg
HS-210_3D_W640.png

21214qnap2.jpg

qnap_hs210.jpg

Christian @ 2CT Media

It would be cheaper by half to get the 5tb plan for 5 years at livedrive and you gain multi computer use, unlimited backups for up to 5 computers, and multi server redundancy.

AF

Check out Acronis True Image for windows. It has real time backup like time machine ands has a Linux boot cd for making images. With your nas you would have a lot of disaster recovery options.

player

I bought a copy of Acronis awhile back but never opened it because the drive I bought to replace my failing drive has a free Acronis so I never needed the paid one.

Thanks I will look into it.

player

It would be cheaper by half to get the 5tb plan for 5 years at livedrive and you gain multi computer use, unlimited backups for up to 5 computers, and multi server redundancy.

My upload speed is about .67 so not much faster than dial up. I may use something like idrive for an offsite backup. They offer 5 gig accounts free. But I don't really trust any American internet storage companies since Snowden revealed the NSA spying program. It is my private info and I don't want the USA govt or anyone else to have access to rifle through it without my permission.

The NAS does more than backup. It is your own cloud. It has a small server built in, so it centralizes all my files, plus if I have a T-1000 router I can open and save files on any computer on my local network as fast as a local drive in the pc. It is also a network device that can be accessed anywhere with an internet connection. Also by cell phones, etc. It will make my desktop inkjet printer a network printer accessible from any local computer through one of the the NAS' USB ports. Plus I control my own data behind my firewall.

player

If the NSA has it on their servers, they will access it from a search if they ever searched their data base for me. If I keep it on my own private network, they would have to go after it, which they most likely wouldn't.

I read in the news about Canadians going to fly international and they are told they can't because they had to be hospitalized once many years ago for depression... This info was taken from their medical records or police records etc...

Christian @ 2CT Media

LiveDrive is UK based, on-site backups are no longer worth it due to the low cost multiple redundancy cloud networks that are so prevalent now.

You shouldn't have to worry about the NSA unless you are doing something wrong, or have very expensive trade secrets.

I'm sorry your internet sucks, if its that slow any remote access to your files on the QNAP will be painfully slow versus files stored on a backbone connected server.

player

It seems pretty standard for my region of Canada to have a solid download speed but a pathetic upload speed.

If you have nothing to hide why do you have curtains on your windows?

Biker Scout

Curtains beautify plain, boring windows. Diminish drafts, and reduce echo in a room. Draperies block out light and keep hot/cold out. We dress our windows for lots of reason. However Player, I am more concerned about the foil lining your windows. What are you doing in there?

visual800

is all that really necessary for a backup? I mnea damn what kind of work are you doing over there? BUT I have to say impressive setup

When I hear someone say "I got a 10TB hard drive" what I hear is "I just lost a 10 TB harddrive" I refuse to buy over a 1Tb cause IMO they are just going to crash. I got 3 backups right now surely I will have at least 1 left over before the zombies attack.

WildWestDesigns

Wow that is a big one!

How do you find the software from QNAP? What are you using from them?

Is it hard to set up for the first time?

View attachment 98368

It's not that hard to get it going. Very easy, intuitive software. I do have a drive setup for just entertainment as well, so I do use their music player alot (it can also do internet radio, although I don't do that as much as I think some of you do).

The only complaint that I have with their software is the Netback app. Way too inefficient for doing a backup of your computer. I have that Wacom Cintiq tablet that I was trying to use the Windows backup at first, but it would also "crash" at the same spot in the backup process. I tried to the Netback app to see if that would work and it did, but even using a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter it took waaaaaaayyyyyy too long to do a backup. So I got the latest version of Acronis and that was done in like a couple of minutes. Other then that the software is pretty easy to set up.

WildWestDesigns

Netback is the QNAP equivalent of Acronis?

As far as it being a backup utility, yes, but I prefer Acronis over it. It was just way to slow. I think the fact that I had Win 8 Pro was throwing the Qnap through a loop when using the Windows backup utility, although just today I've been getting notifications for a new firmware update, so that might fix that. Win 7 Ultimate had no issues using the Win backup. It also does handle time machine backups as well, but you just have to enable that in the settings and then you are good to go.

It does have several other backup utilities like sending a backup of the Qnap to another Qnap off site, or to the cloud, or to another external hard drive etc. Those features I haven't delved into much at all.