• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Smoothest Gloss Overlaminates

whatsinaname

One of my application using IJ180Cv3 requires a very smooth overlaminate. I find the likes of 3M 8518 and 8519 have too much orange peel texture.

What would be the smoothest available Gloss Overlaminates in cast for car wraps and simple curved surfaces?

Saturn

Aging Member
I think a little bit depends on the smoothness of the base vinyl too.

I'm in the calendered world, but have also been curious about smoother glosses. I have observed that gloss on a matte vinyl can often appear "smoother" than gloss on gloss—if it's an option.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I mean 8519 is lustre so I'd rule that out anyways. We stopped using it years ago because it had so much mottling.

Arlon 3220 gloss has a nice finish to it, same with Avery DOL 1060Z.

unclebun

Avery DOL1360Z, which is optically clear also. We use it as our standard wrap overlaminate and it doubles for window perf.

dmcgary

IMO, most of the texture will come from the base material's glue pattern of air egress as well as the surface that the vinyl is applied onto. To make it smoother you might need to go to a non air-egress base material.