• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Snow stake cover/driveway markers

gnubler

Customer is wanting branded snow stake covers similar to these images. Around 4" wide x 48" tall to slip over rebar pounded into the ground. Logo/text and some reflective shapes/stripes. Qty 50-100.
I found a place in Canada that makes these out of Coro, their description says "folded and sewn". https://www.directprint.ca/snow-driveway-marker-printing/
What about heavy duty banner material sewed to make a long tube to slide over the rebar without slipping down. Would it be too flimsy?

signs-050-jpg.60714

Johnny Best

Why not make a sample one out of heavy duty vinyl to see if it will work. Problem solved. Home Depot has cut pieces of rebar.

gnubler

I think I'll try a prototype and see how it holds up. I think 18oz vinyl is thick enough to stand up fairly straight without flapping or bowing in, but will it hold up to wind and snow?

Johnny Best

If you drive a rebar deep enough it will hold up just fine. Make them and collect your money. Don’t overthink everything.

JBurton

Signtologist
What would keep the folds from 'unfolding' and it saying 1/2 of the message on each side?

gnubler

What would keep the folds from 'unfolding' and it saying 1/2 of the message on each side?
That's what I'm envisioning, that banner material might be too "floppy". I'm going to make one and see how it behaves.
Maybe not folded at all. Two strips of 18oz banner taped or welded along both sides and at the top to slip over the rebar like a sleeve.

Johnny Best

I would make it with the corex. Just slit halfway down seam and fold over. Use VHB to attach unless you have a sewing machine to stitch it like they have. Or thin 1mm pvc and glue seam together down side and top. Easy to cut and vinyl letters will hold better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not stick to trying to make real signs and let the trinkets and bullsh!t for the bottom feeders ?? Go after real work, not pennies on the dollar.

gnubler

Because it's a new customer who's ordering a bunch of other items, including "real signs". If I can profitably make these, then I will. Might end up being a niche product around here with all the winter plow services.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Give it a try, but there comes a point, you need to say no to certain non-money-making projects. You decide when and where.

Johnny Best

I would make it with the corex. Just slit halfway down seam and fold over. Use VHB to attach unless you have a sewing machine to stitch it like they have. Or thin 1mm pvc and glue seam together down side and top. Easy to cut and vinyl letters will hold better.

JBurton

Signtologist
Because it's a new customer who's ordering a bunch of other items, including "real signs". If I can profitably make these, then I will. Might end up being a niche product around here with all the winter plow services.
Order a mess of them blank, or with just the height, then decorate with some cut vinyl whenever someone orders one.

Also, what are these for? The private plow guy to spot your driveway and plow it? Or is it for city workers to know where to stop so they don't run off in your yard?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would not recommend rebar stakes, probably just the regular driveway marker stakes (fiberglass) for safety reasons. And then I would see if you can get a combo of stakes and the thicker coroplast material that fits well together and just do double-sided (single-color screen?) prints on the coro.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would order them out add XX% and be done.

Banner material will probably work but are you going to sew them yourself or do you have someone to do it for you? Asking for a friend.

And I'm 100% sure if my biggest customer saw these...I'd be making them too. In addition to all his trucks and equipment he likes to add these PITA jobs. I hope I'm not jinxing myself...LOL Post an update please, just in case LOL

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Easier way, 1/2" fiberglass reflective marker poles, Rebar rusts quick, and is pretty unforgiving if you hit em' with snowblowers or vehicles, plus once you get snow banks, you probably won't see anything but the top of the pole anyway. An alternative to a full cover is flags on top with their logo (you could use banner material for flags, just zip tie em to the top of the pole, like giant ones that they use to mark underground stuff). Cheap and effective with a better profit margin than trying to make or buy those on that website.

Vevor sells reflective markers in 100 packs 4' tall, 0.4" diameter for $73, even comes with a drill bit to stick em' in the ground, all you'd need to do is order or make flags, or any other easy profitable way you can come up with to brand them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Or thin 1mm pvc and glue seam together down side and top. Easy to cut and vinyl letters will hold better.
This. Maybe use a 3mm pvc to make them a little more durable. HH66 will weld PVC solid. Not sure how PVC holds up in snow but we did do a full wrapped sheet (4x8) of the 3mil inside a walk-in freezer to cover up a contractor's mistake on one wall (with a forklift). It's been 6 or 7 months and no callback yet.

gnubler

Heck no on PVC, that would get brittle and crack in no time at all.
I put together a quick prototype using 4mm Coro and quoted the job. Don't want to bother with banner material.