• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software data input

Jjjohnson

Hi Y'all,

First off thanks for an awesome forum. I surf the fourm but have just recently created an account. I am enrolling in graphic design starting this fall.

I will be hiring all of my work out to a local printer. We will be printing numbers and names. I will need to input (example: 1234 the Johnson's, 1545 the smiths etc, 7678 walkers, etc...) into a document to send to local printer. I will need to be able to pre program the settings In the software so it can automatically self center each number and name on a 5"x10" pre set size for each set of names and numbers depending on the character length. I would like an easy quick way to do this. Illustrator seems like it would be a lengthy process for variable data input and I don't know if flexi is designed for something like this?

Thanks y'all- Austin Texas

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
What you're talking about is called "serialization". You basically layout one image in your design program and then merge it with a database file such as MS Excel, or a text file that has the list of names and numbers that change from one design to another.

SignLab and Omega have serialization capabilities, not sure about Flexi. Illustrator does not, and will you be required to manually key in the information for each image.

We use SignLab and this function saves us a lot of time. You can literally layout thousands of images in minutes with just a few clicks of the mouse. The best part is that the burden of proof for spelling rests totally upon your customer...relieving you of that challenge.

JB