• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solar power supply for remote LED backlit letters

tommythesignguy

I have a project where I have a monument sign a good distance from the power source of the buildings. I plan to back-light a flat cut acrylic logo with LED lighting. Is there a solar panel that will generate power for this sign that will eliminate the need for conduit being run out to the monument?

J Hill Designs

the main consideration, I would think, would be the battery system - call up a solar supply shop and explain your power needs - I'm sure there is something out there.

I'm also sure it is probably prohibitively expensive.

Trenching conduit ain't hard.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had a job a few years ago with somewhat the same conditions. I don't know what you consider a good distance, but we were about 3,400 ft from the nearest electric source for a dedicated line. So, we collectively contacted the electric company who dropped a line down almost at the sign itself and was far cheaper for them to do that, then run a 1/2 mile under ground for a connection. I don't know the ins & outs of it, but check with your local electric supplier for options.

visual800

We redid a small pylon sign for a Docs office and he wanted it lit, didnt want to trench so he said look into solar. The options I found for solar were expensive as hell. this was about 2 years ago, the sign is sitting there unlit lol.