• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

***SOLVED*** Y Position Error and Y Motor Replacement

joshman2010

I recently had this problem with Y position error caused by the motor. I would get random Y position error alarms and then it started becoming constant. I talked to Graphtec and they said replace the motor, but they don' sell it anymore. But I have seemed to have solved the problem and the machine works 100% now.

The problem with the Y motor lies within the encoder. This is on the bottom of the motor and one gold screw is holding the cover on. Take the motor out of the machine and when you take the cover off the encoder you will find a glass disc connected to the center shaft. This disc is read by an optical sensor. The encoder had very small dust particles on the disc. I slowly, patiently and softly cleaned the disc with Q tips. I used a magnifying glass to see a little closer than normal. After cleaning the encoder disc making sure no dust specs at all are on it and putting everything back together the machine works perfectly now.

I hope this helps everyone with the mysterious Y position error.