• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solvent inkjet printing on metallic vinyl

MikeD

Can anyone share the basic principles of printing on metallic vinyl?
I typically have blotchy prints when experimenting with metallic vinyl.
Any suggestions about temperature or ink saturation? Is humidity a factor for the vinyl itself, or will it just effect the liner? I am just starting out with metallics on the inkjet side of printing.The goal is to print a big field of solid color on "chrome" vinyl.
Any advice is appreciated!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We print a good bit on Avery Ultra Metallic. I just use out 3M 180CV3 profile and set the heaters at 42, 42, 50. Printing on a Mimaki JV33.

Graphics2u

You're wanting to print on Chrome though right? Not just regular metallic vinyl, am I right? If that is the case it is a little different. The Chrome does tend to look blotchy in places. I think that is because it's not manufactured with the intent of printing and so it can be contaminated. Depending on the size of area you are printing clean it thoroughly first with alcohol, and in my case I needed the temps higher than normal also. The only thing I've printed on actual chrome is some labels so there was not a large area of color as you describe. I have however printed some good sized stuff on Gold Leaf looking vinyl. It was all in Black though, not color. I think R-tape makes some materials like for printing but I'm not cetain on that.