• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solvent translucent film prefered brand?

abadsvt

I have been using the 3m IJ3630-20 translucent film. Its a cast film which prints really nice and looks great but its so expensive. Is there any other types or brands that everyone is using? I need a small roll 25yds of 54" and looking for a good choice preferably something less than $600+. Thanks

Josh

MikePro

its expensive because its a cast film. if you want an economy translucant, just ask your dealer what they provide in a calendared clear solvent printable.
Avery, Oracal, and 3M are good brands to keep in mind.... couple cents more than alternatives, but worth it if you want something halfway decent.

mactac even makes a clear with "bubble free" adhesive for half the price of what you're payin' for cast 3M.

abadsvt

That makes sence. Is there any reason to use cast for translucent film? I'm not wraping any complex curves. Its just flat panels. Does the cast give a better finished product. Any help would be great. Thanks

visualeyez

I print on the the 3M transluscent film that is meant for cutting. Cuts costs and I have not had any issues. Of course you need to know how to print on trans or it will look like crap day and night...

abadsvt

Technically, cast should last longer than calendared film. We use Oracal 3850.

I looked up those prices for the oracal and there not bad. My catalouge doesn't say if its a cast product but 7 yrs durability is pretty good. What laminate do you use? Do you have to use oracal laminate or can you mix it up. I usually have 3m 8515 for cast and then Aspire gloss laminate for calandered in stock. Thanks

niksagkram

translucent

We have a Roland XC540, and print on Oracal 3850 translucent, which is a 3mil calandered viyl. To get vibrant colours, we double hit it when we print. Colours are a little darker, but don't look washed out at night. BTW, we downloaded the profile from Oracal's web site. Also, we give the customer a choice of laminates. Gloss (Arlon 3220) or matte (Avery DOL 1100) both cast overlams

Mark:beer

Last edited:

MikePro

I looked up those prices for the oracal and there not bad. My catalouge doesn't say if its a cast product but 7 yrs durability is pretty good. What laminate do you use? Do you have to use oracal laminate or can you mix it up. I usually have 3m 8515 for cast and then Aspire gloss laminate for calandered in stock. Thanks

oracal 3850 is a calendared vinyl, but acts like a cast... so they recommend using the cast overlaminate for it. I use it too, Oracal is my go-2 for non-3m priced materials.