• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

somebody using my 1-866 number to hassle people.

gabagoo

I received a call from a lady several months ago asking me why I kept calling her. I asked who she was out of curiosity and also to determine if I had been calling her... maybe she was a deadbeat that owed me money. She then told me it was her fathers phone and he was not well.

She then asked where I was located and I said Toronto. She said that she was in Bedford Mass. I told her I had not called her and had no reason to...sorry... but not me.

Today I get a call from a woman and she says she wants me to stop calling her and upsetting her ill father. I asked who she was but obviously she was not going to tell me.
She was mad at me and rightly so, I suppose, if it was indeed me who was calling her ill father.
She reeled off my 1 866 number and I said yes thats my number and she says yes I just called you on it.

I then explained to her when the lightbulb went off in my head that although I had a toll free number I couldn't call out on it as I have no actual line for it. It was strictly for incoming long distance calls.

It seemed to make sense to her and I asked her where she was from and she said Bedford, Mass. It then occurred to me that she had called me some time back and we discussed it, and I told her I would investigate and she said she would call the Attorney generals office. I told her that I was sorry for these calls but they were not origianting from my business.

I called my provider and she says that someone has hijacked my number as there number, for call identify purposes.
So it must be one of those scammers trying to steal money from the elderly.
Hope they catch the dink....he ruining my reputation!!!

jayhawksigns

We had a similar issue, and it happened to be an honest mistake, but we got the same thing as you did for some time.

For us, a telemarketer out of Canada was calling stateside trying to sell theater tickets, but whoever entered the information for the phone system to display transposed two numbers. Once we finally tracked down the company, which involved paying off one of the individuals who received a call, they were happy to fix the issue. For some reason they had experienced an unusually low return call volume from those calls, go figure.