• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300V not feeding straight.

spudcity

I've been cutting some Oracal 751 and as it is cutting the vinyl wanders as it is feeding. This causes it to come completely out from one side of the clamps. It doesn't always go to the same side, either.

Any thoughts?

Sign Works

Have you checked your rollers to make sure they are turning freely and are free of any contamination? I once experienced getting adhesive onto and inside the rollers from Oracal 3640, it's very cheap calendered vinyl which shrinks up on the roll exposing the water based adhesive and with your rollers extended all the out they will collect a bunch of the adhesive and cause media to skew. Just a thought, take a look.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Also, the pinch rollers may be getting worn flat. The outer pinch rollers are angled to push the media outward on the edges. The older printers are starting to have this sort of problem as the rollers flatten out from wear. I have replaced the rollers on a number of older Rolands recently, and this fixed the problem.

JoshLoring

Are you aligning the feeder by using the measurement lines on the machine? If you are using the roll and pulling tight it will not be straight. Always use the 2 lines for measuring...

Could be a cause if it doesn't always feed straight. Operator error.

spudcity

weird thing is, it only did it with the roll of 751. I just cut some 3551 and it was fine. IDK, maybe the roll had too much static built up in it and was hanging up somehow?

Check for flat spots on the soft rubber pinch wheels. Also, be sure the roll is not cork-screwed on the roll as you feed the media. If it goes in crooked it will walk off the front.

spudcity

Check for flat spots on the soft rubber pinch wheels. Also, be sure the roll is not cork-screwed on the roll as you feed the media. If it goes in crooked it will walk off the front.

not from the roll being corkscrewed as it happens even when the vinyl is hanging loosely off the back.

I cut some laminated stuff a couple of days ago and everything was great. Back to the 751 last night and back to the wandering problem. No grit on the pinch wheels, not finding any flat spots. I've re aligned and re-aligned with no help. It will start of straight sometimes and then wander, other times wander right away.

This isn't a 1/8" wander, I'm talking inch plus.

I think I'll try new rollers and see if that helps. Are they easy to change?

CS-SignSupply

Maybe something on the liner. Most (not all) clear mylar liner products don't track well on friction fed machines unless a specific liner is used.

Works on everything but 751?, must be the roll.

spudcity

Maybe something on the liner. Most (not all) clear mylar liner products don't track well on friction fed machines unless a specific liner is used.

Works on everything but 751?, must be the roll.

2nd roll of it, so it rules out that out. One was a 24", one was a 30". It does seem to get worse as the roll gets toward the end.