• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300v stops printing

cheryld

After sending a print job to my SP300v, it starts to print then stops and says "now processing". It did it last time i printed but i was able to get it to start over and thought it was just a goofy glitch. Now tonight i can't get it to continue to finish my print job. Anyone else had this problem or any suggestions on how to fix it?

damonCA21

Often a reason for this is a problem with the USB connection to the printer. it can be down to the cable, or the actual main board. The data isn't sent to the printer all in one go, so if the signal to it drops out, then the printer sits there trying to process the next part of the job, but doesn't receive it.
If a new cable doesn't fix it, then it probably will be the main board connection

damonCA21

Could be a networking / router Issue if the printer is not directly plugged into the PC
Possibly, running the printer from a PC or laptop directly plugged into it tends to work a lot better. I have seen similar problems a few times though, and it was nearly always the cable to the printer. The other time I saw it was when a laptop connected to the printer was going into sleep mode, and this stopped the print being sent

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Could be a networking / router Issue if the printer is not directly plugged into the PC
FYI, the SP-300V is USB only. I agree completely on standard network type of connections.

Has the USB cable ever been snagged on and pulled out? As previously suggested, replace the USB cable, not exceeding 15 feet. If that doesn't work, then it is likely there is something wrong with the connector itself. It is easily replaceable if you have soldering skills. If not, a local electronics repair place should be able to do the job. If you are unable to find anyone, please send me a message, as I do these type of repairs.

MrDav3C

FYI, the SP-300V is USB only. I agree completely on standard network type of connections.

Has the USB cable ever been snagged on and pulled out? As previously suggested, replace the USB cable, not exceeding 15 feet. If that doesn't work, then it is likely there is something wrong with the connector itself. It is easily replaceable if you have soldering skills. If not, a local electronics repair place should be able to do the job. If you are unable to find anyone, please send me a message, as I do these type of repairs.
Interesting & thanks for the info!

We ran a 540v for a number of years which was ethernet cable only so naturally I assumed the connectivity would be the same as it's essentially a larger version of the same machine. Very surprised to find out they are different!

Apologies as my answer was not relevant on this occasion but we certainly had some similar printing issues if things weren't setup / working correctly with the network so it may help someone else in the future.

I think at one point if a different pc on the network was restarted or switched off we would lose communication with the printer (something to do with dynamic IP addresses being reassigned I think!)

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Apologies as my answer was not relevant on this occasion but we certainly had some similar printing issues if things weren't setup / working correctly with the network so it may help someone else in the future.

I think at one point if a different pc on the network was restarted or switched off we would lose communication with the printer (something to do with dynamic IP addresses being reassigned I think!)
Suggestions never need an apology, and as you said, someone reading this thread may find your suggestion solves their particular problem. Keep 'em coming! My remark was meant to educate, that's all...

damonCA21

Interesting & thanks for the info!

We ran a 540v for a number of years which was ethernet cable only so naturally I assumed the connectivity would be the same as it's essentially a larger version of the same machine. Very surprised to find out they are different!

Yes, for some reason Roland didn't add the network connection option to the 300, only on the 540. No idea why they did this as it meant needing a different main board in both printers.

cheryld

Possibly, running the printer from a PC or laptop directly plugged into it tends to work a lot better. I have seen similar problems a few times though, and it was nearly always the cable to the printer. The other time I saw it was when a laptop connected to the printer was going into sleep mode, and this stopped the print being sent
It is direct

DiS

someone told me it could be dry joints on the board when happens to me.. I use a fan heater pointed at the back towards main board in colder conditions which seems to help!