• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sp540 constant feeding?!

LowStandards1979

so this is good brain teaser for you roland gurus. i recently have had scan motor errors constantly to where you are basicly just starting up and shutting down the machine. was told that i needed to check tension on cable so i did. it was off a little not much. set the tension at 13. worked about a week and a half and came back. rechecked the tension still at 13. had a 3RD PARTY TECH come by when my boss was here saturday to check/fix problem. He told my boss it was the motor and should be replaced. When i came in monday the machine was worse off than before he touched it. I am not sure exactly what the tech did since i was not present. so when you try to print now it starts up feeds very fast about 10ft or so then trys to print. when you use cut only it will startup cut then feed the media. if you hit sheet cut it will start up feed cutter goes to far left then trys to cut. called the company we bought our printer from (wmplastics) they said to update firmware and replace motor. i have done both with no solution still to my problem.

joeshaul

I'm sure the reason it has views and no reply is that no advice is sometimes better than bad advice. That being said, my bad advice/thought is that maybe someone was playing with some ribbon cables like the nurse in Idiocracy, but I have no real experience on the innards/boards of these machines.

First write down your IP address, Sub Net Mask, and Gateway numbers (you will need to reenter these).
Go to the Menu and push FACTORY DEFAULT button, this takes the printer to factory settings. Then reenter your numbers. If this doesn't cure your issue, then you have something else going on and will need to call your Roland Tech. This has nothing to do with a new Firmware upgrade...sheesh. Do you have the proper tool for checking the tension? I will have to check the manual, but 13 sounds too tight for a older printer, it may be 13 when the cable is new...but there are two settings for the tension in the manual. I do not believe the feed issue has anything to do with the tension.