• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question SP540v How do you turn on High Speed?

Myster Enigma

Hi everyone,

Quick question. How do you turn on high speed with the SP540v? I have set the printing width so that the print head doesn't go all the way to the edge on smaller media which saves a lot of time. But I saw a video last night where the printer displayed the text "high speed" I checked the instruction manual and couldn't find any information on this.

Ideally it will be great to have high speed on to save me even more time.

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's all in the profile you use. Checkout the profile settings and there should be a setting for motor speed or it may be called scan speed. Usually they give you normal and fast speed but you may have more depending on the machine.

rjssigns

I believe what the OP is looking for is called a scan setting. It stops the head from traveling the full width of the vinyl if nothing needs to be printed.
Mine is set up like that. Although its been so long I'd have to figure out where it is in the menu.

Myster Enigma

Thank you guys, I figured it out. It was the scan speed. There's a few different settings depending on the profile. Unfortunately as my print heads do not fire accurately (Missing some lines in the cyan and black nozzles no matter how many head cleans or manual head cleans I do) I am forced to use the high quality printing setting for every print. I would love to use either standard or high speed for quickness but banding will appear.

I am nearly happy with how I set things up but have perhaps one last obstacle when it comes to printing. Is there any way I can print more than 1 design (Job) on a single row on Versaworks? I print T shirt vinyl on a roll with a 750mm width. Now usually I can fit 3 duplicated T Shirt designs on a row. Problem is my shirts are made to order so sometimes I only need one of a certain design and 2 of another. Is there a way I can move different jobs into the same row as another job? My workaround is to print just one design leaving enough space on the row and once that has finished printing and cutting I will manually go over to the Roland and move the basepoint. This is not productive at all as I have to keep getting up and sending to print. Any advice?

Thanks

kanini

You can nest jobs together, add the jobs to the queue normally, select all the jobs you want to print at the same time (hold ctrl or shift and left click) and click the button with the two folders connected to create a nested job. Your Versaworks help will describe this more troughly, it's called nesting jobs.

Myster Enigma

You can nest jobs together, add the jobs to the queue normally, select all the jobs you want to print at the same time (hold ctrl or shift and left click) and click the button with the two folders connected to create a nested job. Your Versaworks help will describe this more troughly, it's called nesting jobs.
Thank you so much this was exactly what I was looking for :) It was so simple and I had no idea how to do it so I really appreciate your response. I'm sure everyone on here knew how to do it apart from me haha.

I wish I had discovered print and cut sooner as I've been doing sublimation and one colour CAD cutting for years. Right now I have the SP540v and already after 2 weeks of ownership I can see that I will eventually need another machine to speed up the process and not having to keep changing rolls. One will be for posters/signs/stickers and one strictly for T shirts. Do you think that the VP300 is a good secondary machine? Thing is I have a tight budget and can't go to the VS line or above.

Thanks again

agseden

The VP is still a great machine from Roland and I think it really holds up, plus it's a lot easier to find good third party inks for the Eco Sol Max than it is the Max 2...good way to save money, for sure.

Is there a possibility you could look into a refurb VS? That usually knocks the price down about 6 or 7 grand. I'd still try to go through a dealer so you can get the warranty on a refurb, definitely wouldn't chance it on a kijiji type buy.

Myster Enigma

The VP is still a great machine from Roland and I think it really holds up, plus it's a lot easier to find good third party inks for the Eco Sol Max than it is the Max 2...good way to save money, for sure.

Is there a possibility you could look into a refurb VS? That usually knocks the price down about 6 or 7 grand. I'd still try to go through a dealer so you can get the warranty on a refurb, definitely wouldn't chance it on a kijiji type buy.
Hi, firstly thank you for your response. I always appreciate it when someone finds the time to reply back :) At the moment I am using a CISS bulk ink system with my SP540v. I know a lot of people say not to do this but the thing is I have been using a bulk ink system with my epson ink jet printers for more than 10 years with no problems. I have saved thousands this way. CISS for me is always the way to go.

Anyway I bought my used SP540 on eBay for around 2 grand (GBP) I had to go and collect so made sure that the seller was honest and he was. The most I want to spend for an additional machine is 4 grand max as of right now if I can find one. With the VS apart from being a 6 or 8 ink printer what are the main benefits compared to the VP series. Is it much faster? The thing is if I was going for a VS model the price between a 54inch and a 30inch is quite small. I can see a 54inch VS retailing for 6 grand and the 30inch would be near that price too.

agseden

With the VS apart from being a 6 or 8 ink printer what are the main benefits compared to the VP series. Is it much faster? The thing is if I was going for a VS model the price between a 54inch and a 30inch is quite small. I can see a 54inch VS retailing for 6 grand and the 30inch would be near that price too.

I find the VS to be a faster model, but if you're really looking for speed you can also set up the VS with a double CYMK set up, which would outperform the single cymk of the VP. Double CYMK is great for that speed, or you can go with CYMKLmLcLk + Dedicated cleaner to get a much higher picture quality. I suppose it depends on what you consider being a better bang for your buck. I would definitely avoid putting in the White or Metallic though, with such thick inks if you're not using them enough they tend to settle and clog the print head.

Myster Enigma

I find the VS to be a faster model, but if you're really looking for speed you can also set up the VS with a double CYMK set up, which would outperform the single cymk of the VP. Double CYMK is great for that speed, or you can go with CYMKLmLcLk + Dedicated cleaner to get a much higher picture quality. I suppose it depends on what you consider being a better bang for your buck. I would definitely avoid putting in the White or Metallic though, with such thick inks if you're not using them enough they tend to settle and clog the print head.
Thanks again :) I think the double CMYK set up will be quite amazing for me because a higher picture quality isn't my top priority. I mainly sell online and the majority of consumers are happy with the standard CMYK. I've never had any complaints about the colours not being vivid enough etc.

I see that white ink has always been a problem with printers especially DTG printers so will be avoiding that. Again I'd love a VS model but with the price of a VS300 being so close to the VS540 I may as well sell my SP540 and go for a VS540 which I don't want to do. It's not easy finding a used or refurbished Roland machine from where I live too :(

Myster Enigma

So I decided today to go for something completely different and hope that I've made the right decision. Instead of another Roland I'm going for a Mimaki CJV3-60 in excellent condition. The seller states the machine has had new printheads, dampers pump and ink lines changed. He told me that he also has an SP540v and that the speed, print quality and resolution is far superior on the CJV3-60. The only downside is size. In my case the size is an advantage because I don't have anymore space and I will only be using the Mimaki for T shirt vinyl and maybe smaller stickers. The Roland will handle everything else.

I've seen videos on the Mimaki and it does seem to print like twice as fast. Is this a good printer/cutter compared to the SP series. Is it better than the VP series even? Although I probably won't regret buying it I do wonder if it is a good decision. With it being a 24" machine instead of a 30" this won't bother me too much. I will however need to look for a supplier who sells 24" PU T Shirt vinyl.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The CJV30 will outperform both the Sp and VP series hands down. The SP and VP series use 2 and 4 DX4 print heads respectively. These heads have 360 nozzles per head and fire 3 different sized dots. The CJV30 uses a single DX5 print head that has 1440 nozzles and fires 5 different sized dots and the smallest dot size is smaller than the DX4s. The DX5 head is also more accurate so the motor speeds can be higher. So overall it will print faster and with higher quality than the other machines.

24" is a standard PU T-Shirt material size so you shouldn't have any issues! If you can't find some from your supplier the Specialty Materials brand has it.

Myster Enigma

The CJV30 will outperform both the Sp and VP series hands down. The SP and VP series use 2 and 4 DX4 print heads respectively. These heads have 360 nozzles per head and fire 3 different sized dots. The CJV30 uses a single DX5 print head that has 1440 nozzles and fires 5 different sized dots and the smallest dot size is smaller than the DX4s. The DX5 head is also more accurate so the motor speeds can be higher. So overall it will print faster and with higher quality than the other machines.

24" is a standard PU T-Shirt material size so you shouldn't have any issues! If you can't find some from your supplier the Specialty Materials brand has it.
Thank you so much VanderJ for the information. I still have so much to learn and I fully understand the explanation you just gave in detail as I love to learn about the little intricacies. Being faster and producing a higher quality is just what I'm after. I've only owned the SP540v for a month today but I can already see that it takes a lot of time for me to do a days work.

A lot of people who I speak to tend to just stick to either T Shirts or signage, banners, poster, stickers. They don't tend to do it all. The guy who sold me the SP540v was just using it for T Shirts and the guy whos selling me the Mimaki is doing everything but T shirts haha. With the two machines this will save me loads of time :)

In the UK it seems like 20" (500mm) and 30" (750mm) are the standards and I have not found any 24" media for PU T Shirt material at all. Plenty of sticker vinyl and other materials but for T shirts it's hard to find one. America seems to be where everything is with brands like ThermalFlex etc :(