• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Speaking of copyright infringement

W

wetgravy

Had a guy come in yesterday wanting a fire extinguisher inside on his rig ... wanted it in the harley-davidson shield. Didn't understand that it was copyrighted and I didn't want to be sued for it. Gave him a quick mockup (i think 3 or 4 minutes worth of time) of a shield and bar that I could use that would look pretty interesting but didn't want it because it wasn't the actual shield. I get these types of guys about once every 2 weeks and I have an entire portfolio of crests I've designed over the past decade for customers ... but they want that fricken shield. grrr.

WildWestDesigns

That one seems to be the most popular one that people want to get done(at least in my experience). I'm not an HD fan myself(more of an Indian fan), so I'm not usually broken up by it. But you are right, it's either the "true" shield or none at all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How much could that've cost the guy ?? Isn't even worth arguing with the guy or explaining yourself.

On another note, who the heck would've ever seen it had you produced it ??
I'm not promoting infringements or anything, but really.... who would've seen it, but him and maybe his good buddies... breaker 19 ??

WildWestDesigns

On another note, who the heck would've ever seen it had you produced it ??
I'm not promoting infringements or anything, but really.... who would've seen it, but him and maybe his good buddies... breaker 19 ??

Problem is here, who are his good buddies? Sometimes you just never know what circles they travel in.

My dad travels in strange circles compared to what circles you would expect if you knew what he did.

signmeup

Buy a bunch of Harley stickers at the dealer and sell them to these guys for twice the price.

Plus installation.

W

wetgravy

Well this is what I came up with, similar, not copyrighted and I could actually do more with it if he wanted to ... sadly ... no. And I avoid stuff involving HD when possible ... there is a company my predecessor made a logo for that involves that shield and I convinced them to change a couple parts on it when they wanted to adjust the lettering ... now it's no longer the HD shield. (which makes me happy)

Attachments

• fake-harley.jpg
    fake-harley.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 48

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops: my bad.

I thought you meant he wanted the extinguisher wrapper 'INSIDE' the cab. This is the copy on the outside announcing this...... :doh:

Nope, don't do it at all. Ain't worth it. Don' waste your time.

W

wetgravy

yup! with rigs ... the DOT have some specific rules for lettering and what they need. all the VIN's, USDOT's, etc need to be 2 inches tall atleast and readable from 50' away. Truck company names need to be 3 inches tall and visible from 75' (same with truck numbers ... even though most people get 4 inches for them since DOT's in cali and colorado are a-holes apperently) also the trucking company name has to have place of origin below the logo/name (ie. Amarillo, TX if it's based out of amarillo) and as of the last ... 3 ... maybe 4 years they need a "fire extinguisher inside" on the door where the fire extinguisher is ... rules aren't clear on the details but normally 1" tall suffices for DOT officers.

Those fire extinguisher insides always are fun though .. it's one of the few chances I get to play with design on basic info.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you were referring to me, I know the wording has to be there, but I was merely saying, don't waste you time on Harley stuff.... it ain't worth the ride you'll take, if caught.

CanuckSigns

We had a guy email about a month ago wanting us to laser engrave his tattoo company logo onto some glasses, the logo he sent was an exact copy of the harley shield with his company name written in. I told him we couldn't do it and explained why. i suggested we come up with a logo for his business that is more "personal" and would make customers think of him and not Harley Davidson. He told me that Harley is a big company and by using their logo he gets noticed as well.

I was considering forwarding the email exchange to HD, but figured it's not really my place to do so.

I can't imagine who would get a tattoo from someone who wasn't creative enough to come up with a better logo.

natedawg9640

ah... gotcha thanks... ok i'll try this again.

it's sorta the same situation... but would this be infringement?

Attachments

• 100_0666.jpg
    100_0666.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 53
  • SRT8.jpg
    SRT8.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 49

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had a guy email about a month ago wanting us to laser engrave his tattoo company logo onto some glasses, the logo he sent was an exact copy of the harley shield with his company name written in. I told him we couldn't do it and explained why. i suggested we come up with a logo for his business that is more "personal" and would make customers think of him and not Harley Davidson. He told me that Harley is a big company and by using their logo he gets noticed as well.

I was considering forwarding the email exchange to HD, but figured it's not really my place to do so.

I can't imagine who would get a tattoo from someone who wasn't creative enough to come up with a better logo.

Actually, with someone saying this to you.... aloud, I think it is completely within your rights to report him. You're in the same line of work to a degree and that is not being wrong on your part.... he is. He is not only misusing the logo without permission.... he outright knows it. I'd shut his butt down..... quickly.

:rock-n-roll: How legal is this ?? Harley-Davidson-Tattoos1.jpg

CanuckSigns

Actually, with someone saying this to you.... aloud, I think it is completely within your rights to report him. You're in the same line of work to a degree and that is not being wrong on your part.... he is. He is not only misusing the logo without permission.... he outright knows it. I'd shut his butt down..... quickly.

:rock-n-roll: How legal is this ?? View attachment 59587

Actually Harley tattoos are a funny one, in HD's own branding guideline book that they give to licenced companies, it says something to the effect of "Harley Davidson is so engraned into the American way of life that people will get the logo tattooed on their skin" by reading that it sounds like they are condoning it.

W

wetgravy

If you were referring to me, I know the wording has to be there, but I was merely saying, don't waste you time on Harley stuff.... it ain't worth the ride you'll take, if caught.

I was picking up the bricks you were laying down. :thumb: