• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stand offs

Stacey K

I like making signs
I recently made a sign for a church and they wanted to install it themselves - which was fine. However, they used stand offs and they are stainless steel and right in the middle of black so they stick out like a sore thumb. What can I suggest to fix this? Nail polish? A vinyl wrap over the top? There's gray and purple on the sign but the stand offs blend in where those colors are. It's the black and white spots that look horrible. The stand offs are 1" in diameter and about 1/4" deep - if that makes sense.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree, the only reason to use a standoff with a cap on it, is to show off. So, let them be.

However, if they must, take them off.... one-at-a-time and spray them with some krylon. That should stick without much prep, just wash them off with some alcohol first and let dry.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Here's the crappy thing. It's a 2 part sign. I just called her and gently suggested they paint the ones on the seam. She said they did discuss that. I said they could use nail polish or enamel paint and a small brush. I've used nail polish here and there and it seems to hold up well.

I didn't know they were using stand offs and the project has been a year in the making. I should have said something when I delivered it!

Attachments

• 346106012_3500657886926806_860841366594179210_n.jpg
    346106012_3500657886926806_860841366594179210_n.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 191

gnubler

Ditto ditto. They can spray paint the standoff caps if they want them to blend in more. I did an install once with four different colors of spray painted screw heads, depending on where they fell on the sign.

ikarasu

It looks the same to me as if someone were to do screws!

If you REALLY want it to blend in - I have a customer who makes me print a sqft of each color on certain signs.... Then she goes overtop of the screws with that vinyl. It blends in pretty good... rather than paint, print a few FT of the colors / bring the white, and wrap the standoffs. I personally prefer the standoff look... But printing a couple pieces of vinyl would look a heck of a lot better than them trying to nailpolish them :roflmao:

Johnny Best

Ditto ditto. They can spray paint the standoff caps if they want them to blend in more. I did an install once with four different colors of spray painted screw heads, depending on where they fell on the sign.
You are starting to sound like an old signguy telling stories. I would believe 2 colors, but four, yea right.

JBurton

Signtologist
Here's the crappy thing. It's a 2 part sign. I just called her and gently suggested they paint the ones on the seam. She said they did discuss that. I said they could use nail polish or enamel paint and a small brush. I've used nail polish here and there and it seems to hold up well.

I didn't know they were using stand offs and the project has been a year in the making. I should have said something when I delivered it!
Looks good from my house.
Is this a real problem, or a 'I made it and they ruined it' kinda problem?

netsol

You are starting to sound like an old signguy telling stories. I would believe 2 colors, but four, yea right.
i have about a dozen sandwich size ziplocks in the econoline, with 12 different colors of an assortment in each: (3) sizes of drywall screw, ( 2) sizes construction/deck screws, sheet metal screws, various lengths, fender washers &'regular washers & 3 inch disks cut from hardened masonite

makes installs easier. i was thinking of adding more colors

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
1 Shot paint but most here probably don’t have that. Not sure about nail polish…

I wouldn’t worry about it since you didn’t install it. Photoshop them out and put it in you portfolio…