• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

standoffs

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So, I'm curious. Is there a template where standoffs should go on all signs? like 1/2 inch from top and 1/2 inch from side?

Billct2

Not that I know of. For me it's more of an aesthetic combined with the practical, enough to do the job and keeping holes away from the edge.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I forget the size of your sign, but if it's 3/16" or 1/4", I'd come in 2" from the edge.

If you wanna play it safe, either start in the middle and work you way left, then right..... or start in one corner and work your way across. Do not put the top two corners in and work towards the center..... anyway, not until you're really good at putting these things up.

Moze

Generally 1" to 2" to the center of the standoff, depending on the size of the standoff, panel, etc.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Generally speaking for acrylic you want the hole to be 1.5 times the diameter of the hole from the edge of the panel. So if you're drilling a 1/2" hole it should be 3/4" from the edge. Personally I like to do what Moze recommended. I think it's good to get the support in just a little closer to the center if possible versus trying to get it as close to the edge as possible.