• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Start up with an Inkjet

Checkers

Jack,
I've heard and read many horror stories about those printers. But, the few people I know who have them managed to make pretty good money. The quality of the prints were great when compared to the Gerber thermal printers, but the materials costs were 2-3 times higher.
Some just don't realize the extra or "hidden" costs of owning equipment. Besides media, ink, laminate and maintainance, there's the cost of training or some sort education to efficiently and effectively operate the equipment. And this can make the difference between a profit and a loss.

Checkers

JAMEY

I read this whole thread and am a newb also wanting to dive in. Could I do banners and ATV (four wheeler) also with this setup?

Would I need a laminator? Or is that something I just stick over the printed vinyl?

I could buy that whole setup cash and I already have people wanting graphics kits for ATV's and banners.

Maybe this would be a good start for me to build up to someday be in the automotive side of it.

How are those Epson printers?

eforer

I really believe that getting a solvent or an eco-sol printer is the way to go. Yes its more money, but printing on un-coated media is much more cost effective and there many more options available in the un-coated arena. Also, the durability will be way better on un-laminated products like banners etc. With my Mimaki/Triangle setup almost everything I print comes in at under $1.00 per sq ft in terms of ink+material. Vehicle wrap film + laminate gets a little higher. Banners, paper and intermediate vinyl are cheaper than dirt though.

You can laminate by hand with the big squeegee for starters, but a laminator is a big plus. Once you get comfortable with it, you'll find it has lots of uses and is worth the money/effort to learn.

Your better off skipping the Epson's etc. and stuff in that class and looking for a used solvent/eco-sol machine. Also, if your only going to own one machine, DO NOT GO THERMAL. They have there place, but an inkjet is a way better backbone for a business.

TheSnowman

If your gonna spend several thousand, just do it right. You don't wanna be limited on your sizes by your machine, and you don't wanna be splicing stuff all day long either. Solvent's the way to go in my opinon, but don't build a ship in the basement either...make sure it's big enough to handle bigger jobs. But, it may be too late for that now anyway.

JAMEY

So...there's no good way to go without spending at least 15-20 grand is what you guys are saying if I want to print?

eforer

Well, thats more or less how I feel about it, but I'm sure there are others who would disagree. There are some valid reasons to start with some low cost equipment but in my mind the negatives outweigh the positives. My feeling is, that if you have any success your going to basically upgrade immediately and honestly once you get a higher end machine, what ever your starter equipment was will be either collecting dust or sold for pennies on the dollar.

Also, keep in mind that purchasing the printer isn't the only thing you have to consider. RIP software, color management tools, media etc. will cost you a bundle. There is a steep learning curve too. I've seen people make the dangerous assumption that running a solvent machine is alot like desktop printer. Its not, there really is a tremendous amount to learn and digest. Also, there is alot to the imaging and design software before you even get to the print stage, no matter how good your equipment is its garbage in, garbage out.

Here's what I think a realistic budget would look like.

RIP software: Wasatch, Flexi or Onyx poster shop
$3k-$4k

Design Software
Photoshop CS3 $600.00
Illustrator CS3 $500.00 (Corel X3 is less, but I'm not sure how much)

Used 64" Solvent Printer
Mutoh VJ or Mimaki JV3 (I'm a Mimaki guy)
minimum around $10k after shipping, replacement of worn components etc. Realistically, figure $12k-$15k

Used 64" Cutter with Reg Mark Detection
Graphtec or Mimaki around $4k

6-8 ink cartridges, flushing cartridges (necessary if your machine is used IMO), wipers, dampers etc.
$1k

Some starter media, vinyl, compatible lam and banner material
$600.00

Figure for the above easily $20,000.00

That doesn't include any color management tools or a laminator. That can easily add another 8-15k right there.

The reality is that if you want to be able to make products that compete with guys that have the heavy duty tools, you have to shell out for the big toys. A better option might be to start by sub-contracting and once you have a book of business, and are familiar with design and file preparation for printing, draw up a business plan and see if spending $20,000 to $30,000 makes sense.

The flood of seemingly capable "outdoor" printing technologies hitting ebay at low prices has created a sort of artificial price point in alot of peoples minds about digital printing. Just like cheap vinyl cutters, buying a used inexpensive printer is not going to be a magic key to success. There is a lot of work, additional money and time involved in making a digital printing outfit successful.

high impact

You can find good used sp300 versacamms for $6-8k. It's an awesome machine to start out on and then you are printing! ;-) So what if you have to tile a few jobs here and there.

You will be far better off, even if you have to borrow a little bit to do it.

Jolly Roger

Hello, new to the forum and read this thread as I am looking into the sign industry. I came across a 30" no name plotter/cutter and the winpcsign software. Started doing lettering and decals, simple of course. I enjoy doing it and would like to move forward in my education and also equipment.

I currently work a full time job and would like to make this a second job and hopefully if I learn enough, be able to have a second career after retirement. I noticed the link above from Beacon Graphics and was considering the purchase.

If I did, I would still be doing small decals, lettering, maybe boat lettering/graphics until I was comfortable and learned enough where I could move ahead in the industry. Hopefully one day have the expertise most members on this forum have.

Laminators, are these an absolute must for all vinyl or just outdoor? Is there a alternate way to prolong the outdoor life? I have the money for the printer and cutter but if I can save the extra $ it would be nice.
Thanks

Flame

So...there's no good way to go without spending at least 15-20 grand is what you guys are saying if I want to print?

Sorry, but yes. You can do it though, just take a deep breath and jump in. I dropped $25K when I was 19 years old and in my first apartment. If I could pull it off, I'm sure you can too.