• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting off

stephenj148

Okay so I've been a member on here for awhile... Haven't really told my story..

My Name is Stephen. I'm 22, graphic design major. About 6 years ago, my dad and I got into the "Sign" business with a 24" cutter that we used to do mostly heat pressed cut vinyl motocross jerseys with name and numbers (I've grownup racing motocross) We've evolved into doing many odds and ends out of our basement, including motocross graphics and other wide format printing.

Now that I'm getting closer to graduation, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I love graphic design, (even though I'm no great designer) And i'm starting to really like the idea of having my own sign business, working for myself. I'm planning to work at Design agency near my home, but at the same time would like to start getting more involved sign wise, eventually leading to buying a shop and owning my own business.

But at the moment, we don't have a consistant work flow, which would defiantly make buying a place impossible. Where I live there is quite a few sign places, one of which I know is already bothered by our little "shop" How do we gain more business?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At 22..... graduating from............... college... I presume.

Anytime competition is working from their basement, kitchen or garage, is always gonna be a thorn in someone's side. However, at the same time, why should it be ??

If a small family-run business out of your basement which doesn't have steady work is causing some to become irritated, they must be doing something terribly wrong.

If you wanna grow your business, you need to advertise, get the word out and go pound the pavements That's the fastest, cheapest and most practical method at your point. At your tender age, be patient and grow your business on integrity and professionalism with a fair and competitive price structure. Don't put the cart before the horse and get all the bells and whistles and then be so far in debt, you have to close up. Maybe rent an old garage and expand you capabilities and operations area.

Is your Dad doing this part-time with you... or can he go out while you're still in school ??

CS-SignSupply-TT

I like the business card size ad in the high school papers and the local community papers. Focus on graduation signs, sports/band participation signs, and vehicle graphics in the high schools and the community papers