• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stencil problems

Sabernathy

I need help getting the white to cut out of this.
I'm trying to cut a stencil out of .040 styrene on a Colex Sharpcut. I have tried the double edge blade, 80 degree (didn't cut small letters well or thin lines) and I have tried a 3mm router bit (Small pieces got caught in the router and caused imperfect cut lines). Single edge blade just dances with the sharp turns. It might do a good job cutting but I don't have hours to wait for one test. Does anyone have any recommendations for completing this?
I have included the file I'm trying to cut.

261422 Brain Storm Shelter_Truck Yard Round Logo Stencil.jpg

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
How big are you talking? I'd think a router would be the way to go, with this many narrow cut outs. Have you tried masking the opposite side to keep pieces from fly off as you cut? (Don't cut all the way through the mask) If your machine isn't level enough to not cut the mask, you could mask, then double stick it down to a piece of sacrificial material, then when you remove the double stick, it'll only be stuck as hard as the mask.

Sabernathy

How big are you talking? I'd think a router would be the way to go, with this many narrow cut outs. Have you tried masking the opposite side to keep pieces from fly off as you cut? (Don't cut all the way through the mask) If your machine isn't level enough to not cut the mask, you could mask, then double stick it down to a piece of sacrificial material, then when you remove the double stick, it'll only be stuck as hard as the mask.
It's a 20" circle. The router did a much better job accept for the points of the grass and the stars. I may try a combination of knife for grass and stars and router for other pieces after masking. I also have a double sided medium tack 18" adhesive roll that I'll attach to a sheet of MDF. My table isn't very level so I need to apply multiple sheets of mask too. Thank you for the help.

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
"Stencil" ???
For what? Painting, glass etching, sandblasting, ???
How many times do you expect to use it?