• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Steve Hardy

prosign print

Hi everyone, ive just signed up as im new in the sign and large format business.
Ive had a B2 lithographic printing company for the past 18 years and high quality litho print is my background.
After 18 years of successful business ive decided to change my direction and get involved mainly in large format and digital print.
I currently have an Epson 9800 for all of my indoor graphics and im very pleased with the quality that this produces.
We mainly produce roller banners and pop up display stands using this machine.
I have a Summa vinyl cutter and i tend to mainly use this for print and cut stickers.
Im looking at buying a eco solvent based machine, i say eco solvent as i do believe that this is probebly the best route to take in today enviroment, although the substrates that you print onto arnt always that eco friendly.

The two machines im looking at are the Mutoh 1614 Value jet and the Mimaki JV33-160
I am leaning towards the value jet as its does seem to be a good buy?

Can anyone advise me of the pros and cons of each machine and which one you think is the best.
Ive still got to look at the costs of running each machine, but i guess the mimaki will be more expensive for parts and ink?

Many thanks

Steve
:thankyou:

Dave Drane

Welcome from down-under Steve, sorry I can't help you with your technical question, as I am one of the dinosaurs that once parked on the side of the highway and lugged trestles down through snake infested gutters and up steep slopes to set up a scaffold on the side of the highway to paint out backgrounds and lay out the design on hoardings (an Australian term, you guys call them billboards)) by striking lines and working from a scaled layout and hand painting, including second coating certain colors to produce a one off legible sign that the passing traffic could easily read and percieve as an advertisement for the client paying a premium price for a one off piece of artwork!!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK.
The Value Jet is a good machine for the money. These machines do need to be ran often or the maintenance will get you.

Fuzzbuster

mutoh vs mimaki

welcome from Ontario eh!
depending on what your looking at for your ink costs you should still consider a mild solvent machine,,,
these eco inks are all in chiped cartriges and eco ink WONT LAST as long as full or mild solvent,
Anyone who tells you different hasn`t been doing it that long
Something with a bulk ink system with a good profile calib.. from someone who knowns what there doing will save you a pile a greif and money$

but if you insist on spending a fortune in ink both mimaki and mutoh machines have same heads

it would come down to service and support for me
there both the exact same price

cheers