• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stop Laminator From Drifting To The Right...

player

I have a basic Chinese 60" cold laminator with 6" rollers. When I laminate the print will drift to the right. The top roller height adjustment is a simple hand turn knob on each side, and the pressure appears to be just the weight of the roller.

I am sure I have the print in straight to start. I have for the first time laminated 40 foot lengths and it goes off between 1-2 inches over the length, making it rather stressful.

Any solutions that allow me to keep this laminator and not buy a new one? Buying a new one is not an option.

MR. Graphics

shorten your runs, I have a cheapo laminator, it is hit or miss if I get it to track a 4- 8 foot panel run so I print 2 panels add some space the print 2 more. I have a feeder board just in case it tracks off to far, stop it at a break in print cut off and stuff feeder board and tape rest of print to it and start again.

player

shorten your runs, I have a cheapo laminator, it is hit or miss if I get it to track a 4- 8 foot panel run so I print 2 panels add some space the print 2 more. I have a feeder board just in case it tracks off to far, stop it at a break in print cut off and stuff feeder board and tape rest of print to it and start again.

There must be something that can be done... I will not try 45' runs again until I solve the problem though...

I read here that if one side is not as tight as the other side it will pull to the side that is loose. I think the bottom roller might be lower on one side than the other. I will look for an adjustment there.

rjssigns

For long runs you need an infeed set-up. We set up a Rube Goldberg apparatus to use with our RS laminator. It will run 60' with a quarter inch drift. EVERYTHING depends on the lead edge being ABSOLUTELY perpendicular to the edge of the material.
We also run 2 layers of 2 inch masking tape on the top of the lead edge and one layer underneath. Why? 2 reasons. First is that laminate doesn't stick to the tape and allows repositioning. It also stiffens the lead edge and gives a solid visual cue if you are not feeding straight. On long runs I measure the back of this tape edge several times to make sure it is PERFECT. One sixteenth of an inch off at the start of a 60' run spells disaster.

Speed kills. Just because you can turn it up to 20 doesn't mean you should. In base terms the faster you run something the more issues you will have.

Last thing: Laminating is an art, not science. You will have to experiment to find out exactly how your laminator "behaves" and work within it's limitations.

MrSalumi

I agree with the infeed system. I was skewing laminations on my seal until I started using the system on the front of my machine. Now I can run 100 ft without drifting 1/4in.

In your case I would guess its a calibration issue. Those manual cranks are meant to just barely be tightened passed the actual pressure of the roll. In fact some people dont even tighten them (just let the weight of the roll do its job).

Good luck! And upgrade when you can! It makes life easier

omgsideburns

If you have a feed roller for kraft paper on the machine.. and aren't using kraft.. you can use that as your in feed for long runs. I've only done it once or twice since I've had great luck running without it.

My runs stay straight as long as I load them straight. I usually just line it up with my crop marks and then drop the roller down on it to hold it in place and it will stay straight for the run.

I am using a GBC laminator just for reference.

rjssigns

Could you guys explain your infeed systems a little more please?

Thanks

Two jack stands. One 8' length of 2" exhaust pipe. Two bungee cords. One 3" core. One scrap stick for measuring.

Pipe sits on jack stands. Wrap graphics on spare 3" core. Place core over exhaust pipe. Bungee exhaust pipe to jack stands. Use scrap stick to make sure exhaust pipe is same distance from platen on both sides. Feed material(prepped like my previous post) Ta-Da!!!

Laugh all you want. It works. It's dead simple. Best part is I have ZERO dollars invested. All parts are scavenged.

mpn

:notworthy: Not laughing at you, got a pair of jack stands on the bench for runs with the gs 6000. Glad I'm not the only one!

There is a simple and easy way to check both sides pull. You can get a pull gauge (expensive) or just go to walmart and but a fishing scale. Take a 2"x12" strip of thin aluminum. Put a grommet through 1 end. Hook the fish scale to the grommet. Put the aluminum between the rollers in middle. Lower rollers to normal pressure and turn on. What does the scale read. Then do the left and riright sides. Adjust accordingly.