• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Streaks In Print

rjssigns

I need some help. Roland SP540V is printing blue streaks. See attached pic. I picked the blue from the existing file and made blocks of it and it did the same thing.

Could it be reading something in that particular file? It had done this before on the same file to a lesser degree. Really had to be looking for it.

Odd deal is I printed some large files yesterday with large blank(white) areas and they were flawless. Lots of purple in those files but you'd think the cyan streaking would show up when it traversed the white areas. Or am I thinking about it all wrong?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN0945.JPG
    DSCN0945.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 234

printhog

Without seeing it under extreme magnification is hard to call. If it's actual ink ejections with a noticable pattern then the head may be failing.

If it's overspray, and I think that it might be, your print speed is too high and the heads may be too high as well, causing the ink droplets to get caught in the airflow of the carriage.

Dirty heads with overspray on them can cause this as well. A thorough clean and then more frequent cleaning wipe cycles with clean wipers would be advised.

Check your printers environment for any drafts or airflow that might be getting in there defecting the ink drops.

Try the same file on another media to rule out static attraction.. that could account for it also. Some media types were more sensitive to static issues years back, although most have overcome that.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

rjssigns

Without seeing it under extreme magnification is hard to call. If it's actual ink ejections with a noticable pattern then the head may be failing.

If it's overspray, and I think that it might be, your print speed is too high and the heads may be too high as well, causing the ink droplets to get caught in the airflow of the carriage.

Dirty heads with overspray on them can cause this as well. A thorough clean and then more frequent cleaning wipe cycles with clean wipers would be advised.

Check your printers environment for any drafts or airflow that might be getting in there defecting the ink drops.

Try the same file on another media to rule out static attraction.. that could account for it also. Some media types were more sensitive to static issues years back, although most have overcome that.

Thanks for the help. I'll clean and recheck everything. I hope it works. Up to my neck with jobs.

rjssigns

Update on the streaking.
It's the media. I printed on some ancient satin finished vinyl, and its perfect. Print is perfect on 13oz JetFlex too. I sent pictures to my rep, waiting to see what they'll do for me.
Deeper I got into the roll the more streaks. Never had anything like that before.

I'll post if anything new crops up.

printhog

Update on the streaking.
It's the media. I printed on some ancient satin finished vinyl, and its perfect. Print is perfect on 13oz JetFlex too. I sent pictures to my rep, waiting to see what they'll do for me.
Deeper I got into the roll the more streaks. Never had anything like that before.

I'll post if anything new crops up.
Static charge on the surface attracting the ink droplets! As ink drops are about the size of a blood cell, electrostatic forces from the media can alter their paths easily from afar. Could be the vinyl or the carrier liner, both can do it. All ink is electrically conductive so the media must be able to suppress the attraction.

This problem also occurs in some media for UV prints and screen printing.. Coroplast that hasn't been Corona treated is notorious for static defects during print.

Older billboard printers like NUR used electrostatic drop deflection process to actually make the image. Even then we had this occur on some vinyls.

Glad you found it wasn't your machine.