• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Street pole banner disasters?

gnubler

Looking for some feedback from those more experienced. Customer wants 24x72" banners installed on street light poles throughout a neighborhood, the poles look to be 20-25 feet tall and around 20" circumference near the base. Poles are round and tapered at the top. Went to check out one of the poles and it's not metal, felt/sounded like fiberglass or similar material and had quite a bit of sway to it. Has anyone installed banners on a pole like this? My gut feeling envisioned the banner turning into a sail during high winds and taking the pole down with it.

From my research, the bottom of the banner need to sit at least 12 feet above ground for clearance. Any particular bracket hardware suggestions for this type of pole and banner size? I haven't contacted the city regarding permitting but will do so next week and see what they say about this configuration.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think the pole mounts I used last were not metal either. The bands and seat were but I don't think the poles were. I'll have to check in the morning where I got them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you asking about the 25' poles... the light standards themselves or the poles to hang the banners on ??

Around here, banners or anything hanging has to be at least 15' from the ground to the banner, if its near a street of any sort.

d fleming

Don't do it unless you get a written ok from manufacturer or else you will be on the hook when a good gust brings the pole down for replacement. Not to mention if it hits a car or person on the way down. Had just this happen over 20 years ago on a site that over 80 banners and mounts were installed. Ok'd by maintenance and property management until manufacturer denied them. Hard lesson learned. If the pole was not made with brackets for banners, move on.

gnubler

Don't do it unless you get a written ok from manufacturer or else you will be on the hook when a good gust brings the pole down for replacement. Not to mention if it hits a car or person on the way down. Had just this happen over 20 years ago on a site that over 80 banners and mounts were installed. Ok'd by maintenance and property management until manufacturer denied them. Hard lesson learned. If the pole was not made with brackets for banners, move on.
That sounds like the disaster I envisioned. Thanks for the input, everyone, the order is now pending.

Tampa Signs

Looking for some feedback from those more experienced. Customer wants 24x72" banners installed on street light poles throughout a neighborhood, the poles look to be 20-25 feet tall and around 20" circumference near the base. Poles are round and tapered at the top. Went to check out one of the poles and it's not metal, felt/sounded like fiberglass or similar material and had quite a bit of sway to it. Has anyone installed banners on a pole like this? My gut feeling envisioned the banner turning into a sail during high winds and taking the pole down with it.

From my research, the bottom of the banner need to sit at least 12 feet above ground for clearance. Any particular bracket hardware suggestions for this type of pole and banner size? I haven't contacted the city regarding permitting but will do so next week and see what they say about this configuration.
B2 sells flexable pole banner kits al so will do the printing sewing and pockets, one of my go to venders

Scotchbrite

No comment
Yeah, they have to light poles designed for the banners. Around here most of the street lights are owned by the utility company and leased by the municipality so you gotta have permission from a couple of sources.