• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

stupid question about panface sign

grafxxx

have a customer wants to change out name on a small light box. it's a smooth pan face. the question is. can i just put replace it with a flat piece of lexan?
thanks in advance
~mike

J Hill Designs

replace the pan face with sheet stock lexan? usually pan faces are used on thinner cabinets, and replacing with a sheet stock will most likely show hot spots..

I have cut out the inner part of a pan face and skyped on a piece of flat stock for a cheepo customer once, just had to design in an opaque border to hide the overlap

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of course you can. Will it look good ?? Probably not, but like jhill said..... measure the existing can. If it's less then 7" you probably should stay with a pan face. The rule of thumb is about 3.5" to 4" from bulb to face. Otherwise, you'll get the hot spots and while some people don't mind that dumb look to save some money..... you'll never wanna show any potential client that sign and admit to doing it. -)

grafxxx

gotcha. thanks for the advice .
now does any know of a any pan face companies in the Boston area????

MrSigns

If really want to know if a flat face will work in an existing cabinet. You have to factor in lamp space. Not just a general rule of thumb of so many inches away. If you have lamps on 8" centers your face should be at least 4" (half the lamp space) away. 6" centers 3" away. etc. Another small detail Polycarbonate(Often called Lexan) is more translucent then acrylic. So it requires a little more distance from the lamps for even lighting. I prefer to retrofit with flat flex face if the cabinet is larger. The retro frames typically will get the face far enough away. 5x10 or smaller i typically will purchase pans.