• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Subbing Out

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
We've recently had a run of good luck, and came across a freelance wrap installer with a good amount of experience. Although I've done quality installs on my share of partials and lettering, we prefer to use him on larger jobs so that I have more time to do sales, which is my main focus.

Long and short is we think he came in very steep on a fiberglass (100% smooth) sided truck, 15' x 7' sides. I guessed about a 5 hour install, and he wants to charge us $200/hr. For peel and stick graphics, with no rivets to deal with, this seems very high; even though it's a vehicle, it's no different than installing on glass in our opinion - on glass he charges $40/hr.

I offered him $80/hr - which I'd love to get paid - we'll see where it ends up.

Anyone see ANY reason why his rate for a vehicle is 5 times his normal rate? I know it's a "specialty", but in this particular instance the application is no different than installing on a flat surface.

rjssigns

Heck with no rivets I'd do it for 200 clams.
Can you say Big Squeegee? Sure, I knew ya could.:Big Laugh

HulkSmash

id never pay anyone 200 an hr for wrap installs.

Most professional freelance installers install at around 1-2.50 a sqft.

wildside

like what colorado said, most "good" installers bill by the square foot, and make good money doing it

billing by the hours screams "i am gonna drag my feet to get paid more"

jfiscus

Rap Master
Have him bid on a per-job basis. I have a contract installer here right now installing an ambulance. He charges around $300 for an ambulance/firetruck install; it amounts to around $30/hr when it's all said and done. Also, make sure your contract includes terms for re-work/installation errors and destroyed materials.

Post up an ad on CL if you can't find another installer, there are probably some out there who will work within your budget.

Rydaddy

I think your $80/hr is very fair for a freelance installer. He may be getting greedy, or is it possible he is not as seasoned as you think and it will take him 10-12 hours to do it? Either way, still not $1000 job.

MikePro

first and last time I paid someone $200/hr was my printer tech. that did nothing but try to sell me a $2k printhead...

no wait, 2nd and last... my first was @ Spearmint Rhino is LasVegas. Well worth the $$$.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
lol screw it, we'll do it ourselves. Paying myself and the helper $38.75/hr when it's all said and done.

I counter-offerred $570, to match what he said would be a worst case scenario in terms of time... He dropped to $750, which now has a home in Outlook's trashcan.