• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Substitute for GenForm 255 optically clear

JRS86

I've been using GF255 for about a year now, and in no point in time have I EVER felt like this product is at all reasonable to work with (though some other GF products I use, I'm perfectly happy with). It's a massive pain in the ass to load into a machine for printing, it needs to dry for 24 hours before laminating, the material itself claims to be "optically clear" but I find that it has little bubbles, streaks, and other bullshit actually cast into the material itself ALL the time, and then there's the issue with plotting. I'm constantly having to back the liner with little white squares of vinyl just so the plotter marks can be read by our Mimaki. And then of course, it's constantly wanting to reverse-curl, meaning I have to tape it down to a table just to let it dry, and tape quarters to it in an attempt to keep it flat on the plotter.

This is bordering ridiculous, and while it's worked the majority of the time in the past, this week I've lost some very expensive prints to some battles that simply aren't going my way. Does anyone have any handling tips for GF255, or even suggestions as to another similar optically clear, removable vinyl?

Have you reached out to GF ? Talked to your GF rep ? I can help you find the right person to speak with, as for another optically clear film that is removable that’s a tough one. You might have all the same issues because to get an optical clear film like this it Hass to be on a poly liner. That’s what gets it the clarity if you were to, except a non-optically, clear film, then you have way more choices.
Other clear films are Arlon DPF 50W clear , Glass Apeel , 3M IJ8150

bigben

Not a newbie
We do our own ''frosted vinyl'' with our white ink capability. We tried almost everything that is optically clear. Most manufacturer will use pet film, the inconvenient is if there is a crease in the material, there is nothing you can do about it. From all the material we tried, the 3M 8150 is the best. Print, carry and install very well. If there is a crease or stretch, you just need to heat it a bit and it return to it's original form. The material is not cheap, but it is cheaper than it's competition like oracal.