• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggest suitable laminator

whatsinaname

Starting my stickers & decals business and planning to get my first 54 inch laminator. I am totally new to these things. We would be laminating self-adhesive vinyls, car wrapping vinyls and sometimes even fusing different surface films onto each other up to a thickness of 0.5 mm.

What kind of laminator should I go for? Basically I would like to what kind of laminator? Cold or hot or both? What type should it be? Pneumatic, manual, hydraulic, automatic? What kind of pressure and thickness compatibility should it have? I am a total newbie to this as all these days we were outsourcing everything.

Last edited:

mikeefly

We recently installed a GFP 300 series laminator. Getting used to it, but working great so far and one of the more budget-friendly options.

whatsinaname

1500 to 2000$. Basically I would like to what kind of laminator? Cold or hot or both? What type should it be? Pneumatic, manual, hydraulic, automatic? What kind of pressure and thickness compatibility should it have? I am a total newbie to this as all these days we were outsourcing everything.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
1500 to 2000$. Basically I would like to what kind of laminator? Cold or hot or both? What type should it be? Pneumatic, manual, hydraulic, automatic? What kind of pressure and thickness compatibility should it have? I am a total newbie to this as all these days we were outsourcing everything.

That budget might rule out most quality brands.

Heat assist is nice to have, especially if you'll be laminating UV printed graphics.

Pressure/thickness etc I wouldn't really worry about as all laminators will essentially do the same thing. You'll probably be looking at manual pressure/gap adjustment in that price range.

Are you actually located in Hong Kong like your profile says? Either way, reach out to local dealers and see what they have to offer. You may be limited to a used model if your budget is $1500-2000.

We've had a GBC laminator for 15+ years and at the time I thought it was very expensive, but the fact that we still use it every day means something. We also recently got a Mimaki laminator and it mostly sits in a corner.

GFP laminators are mentioned here a lot, seems they have a good reputation. Other members have experimented with units out of China with mixed results.

If you search "laminator" on the site there is lots of information: https://www.signs101.com/search/2391943/?q=laminator&c[title_only]=1&o=date

Patrick Farrell

We have a GBC 3064WF that was purchased used. I personally have been using it for about 4 years. It's a tank. Has a max height of 1". Has top and bottom heat and cooling blowers. The rollers are rubber so they do have some give. If you're doing small(ish) runs it might be beneficial to use a solid piece of material to lay the vinyl and whatnot flat. I have noticed on jobs when the "design" has a lot of gaps or intricacies, the difference in surface tension can cause the vinyl and backer to pucker and wrinkle. Or it may be that I have been doing it wrong this whole time. I was kind of tossed into the graphics department and left to figure out how it all works so......no professional training at all.