• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D75R running SignCut

Wildgoose

Just thought I would post up for future generations my experience with SignCut software because I did a lot of searching and there wasn't a lot of info imediately available.

I recently upgraded from a cheap cutter to a Summa D75 (WOW what an awesome machine). I didn't really like the cutting software that came with the cutter and the upgraded version was an additional $500. I wouldn't freak out about the $500 if I liked the layout but its feels kind of clunky and just didn't send a thrill up my leg. I got with SignCut and have been running their program with good results so far using the D120 driver. They didn't have the exact driver to run the D75 but are currently working one over for me. The main thing NOT working so far is polling the plotter to determin material size. Also not sure if I know how to flex-cut with it either but I talked with the techs and they are dialing in on it. I don't print at my outfit so the flex-cut is less important currently.

SignCut has either a subscription with several options or a full purchase dongle for about $300. I used it extensively with the old cutter and am real comfortable with it (which may influence my opinion). Assuming they get the last few details dialed in I plan to pick up the dongle although I am just running on the subscription currently. The biggest things I like about the program are the full featured cut-by-color options, a full weeding line pallet, registration marks, tiling and if you need it (which the new Summa really doesn't) a step-by-step cutting option to cut everything in a given length (user defined) before moving on. Step-by-step was vital with the old machine due to horrible tracking.

So in a nutshell its a little more program for the money and is a viable option to consider, especially if you have just dropped coin on a new cutter and want to run the subscription option for a while to get going. I'm not knocking the Winplot and Macsign options that are out there but I assumed upon purchase that they were going to be all I needed to get going and they are pretty limited in the free version that come with the cutter. I draw in Illustrator and SignCut needs the files downsaved to version 8 (have also heard version 9) and I was hoping that the Winplot or Macsign options wouldn't have to do that but they do also, so they are about par that way.