• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa or Graphtec for my money

JAMEY

I want to be able to cut up to 20 mil laminate on top of various printed (outsourced) and layered media and am at a standpoint where I'm torn between the Graphtec FC7000Mk2 and the Summa S Class T Series (not sure the D Series can pull through the corners and 90 degree angles) plotters. I don't want tracking to be an issue either.

I won't be doing real small stuff. Just cutting ATV graphics mostly. Maybe I'll do some truck signs also. Sub out some printing when needed. I'm not looking to get rich here...just ease into this and see how I like it.

If the Graphtec FC7000Mk2 series plotters are the great bang for the buck they appear to be, then they will be hard to pass up. I could get a 24" (portable) and a 30" (basement or small shop) for the price of the one 30" Summa alone.

What does anybody here who has used either of these with some thick laminate think?

dclet

I cut 30 mil and 15 mil magnetic on my Summa T750, and 9mil floor graphics on the d160... I can not say enough good things about them...I own 2 and wouldn't hesitate to by another.
Summa has it's own plotter plugin for use with corel....not sure if the graphtec does...

I think ebay has a couple of Summa's listed...

Matt Cuellar

The more I play with the Summa, the more I like them! They are a little more expensive, but I think you get quite a big bang for the money you spend on them. I've also been very satisfied with the FC-7000 from Graphtec, more economical on the price, and I've been able to cut a variety of thicknesses, fabrics, etc. The Graphtec has a plug-in for Adobe Illy, but not for Corel...

RJ TECH1

Printer Singing Lessons + Flexi Undergraduate 2001
Summa or Graphtec

Summa and the Graphtec both have a great reliable machine for cutting thick materials. The Summa S Class or the Graphtec FC series of plotters is what you will want for cutting thick materials. I like the Graphtec for the cost/performance qualities. It will cut up to 59 mil with a downforce of up to 600 grams! I recommend buying from a local Dealer for the support, especially if you are doing any Print/Cutting. It will be worth the added cost in the long run!

Letterbox Mike

Summa, worth the extra, especially if you're planning on cutting magnetic, you will need that T head.

I've used both, had a Graphtec FC5100, sent it back, couldn't handle it, had a terrible time finding registration marks, wasn't tracking as straight as I'd like, overall didn't seem as heavy duty as I wanted. Got an FC7000 instead, a little better but fairly similar issues. Mind you I also had a Summa T750 sitting next to the graphtec, the Graphtec was intended to just contour cut prints. Sent the 7000 back, sold the T750 and bought a Summa S160D, which cuts faster and better than the T750 did. It cuts 20 mil sandblast resist like it was 2 mil cast, cleaner than the T750 did. Laminated prints don't phase the new S class, tracking is dead nuts straight, has never ever missed a registration mark, and is an absolute industrial strength beast. I tell people if you've never owned a Summa, a Graphtec will blow your mind, if you've owned a Summa, you wouldn't even be considering a Graphtec.

mtm

I have been looking at the graphtec 5000-60 for my personal use. So far i've heard good things about it. I don't know much about the summa machines.

JAMEY

But...the golden question is...

Is the Summa S Class T Series (Model S75) that much better to justify it over a 30" Graphtec FC7000Mk2 (for the basement or small shop) and a 24" Graphtec FC7000Mk2 (to take to races, marinas, car shows, and such)?

Decisions...Decisions. I would also probably get Signlab (that's a whole 'nother story).

Letterbox Mike

That's such a relative question. They're both excellent plotters. It depends on what you intend to do with it and what kind of abuse it's going to be subjected to. You already mentioned wanting to cut or score magnetic material, and if you intend to do that in any sort of volume, I don't think a drag knife head is going to be up to that task. If you're going to be cutting alot of thicker materials or thicker laminates, again, a drag knife head would not be my first choice. If all you do is cut regular vinyl, no contour cutting, no laminated vinyl, the summa is probably overkill. IMO, the OPOS X on the new S class Summas is worth its weight in gold, I'd wager my printer that there isn't a better optical registration system out there for any price. Combine that with the ability to plow through some really heavy nasty materials and the Summa starts earning some of that money. But no, don't buy it if your volume is fairly low or you only rarely cut thick stuff, it's not intended as a low throughtput low abuse machine.

Also, in my experience, the Summa works flawlessly with Signlab and Onyx Cut Server, like they were made for each other.

woolly

Nice info. Thanks. So the FC7000Mk2 series cutters are drag type?

yes its a drag knife with tangential emulation in firmware, if you turn it on

i have a fc7000 130 and love it, but the cutter i really wanted was the s class T series unfortunately i could not justify the price difference, for the work i do.

if you do decide on the s class t you will not buy anything else again, they are superb in all areas. i recommend you buy the drag head as well for normal cutting. takes seconds to change,for the very best of both worlds.

woolly

P

ProWraps™

Now the big question...

Do I really have to cut 20 mil for ATV graphics?

if you want them to work.. that a yes. 20 mil is what that entire industry uses. i would assume its for a reason. i go through a set of graphics on each one of my bikes every year. and i can tell you, regular vinyl WONT stick. that 20 mil stuff is a must.

JAMEY

if you want them to work.. that a yes. 20 mil is what that entire industry uses. i would assume its for a reason. i go through a set of graphics on each one of my bikes every year. and i can tell you, regular vinyl WONT stick. that 20 mil stuff is a must.

Does your FC7000 or a FC7000MK2 cut 20 mil without hassle?

I am wondering if the 24" FC7000MK2 will do it on the road and the 54" FC7000MK2 will do it at the shop.