• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S class 2 plotters, the new ones

Haakon

My little Roland is getting ready for replacement, rather sooner than later, and I'm very curious about the new 2nd generation S class cutters. Only having used a D series Summe before, I have no experience with any S class cutter.

But Summa in general looks to be highly regarded when it comes to reliability and precision, not to forget good support. Also, I have a Summa dealer fairly nearby, only a few hours away.

I cut mainly just cal and cast lettering vinyl, a bit reflective and very seldom dusted/frosted vinyl. The main problem with the Roland is tracking over longer runs, anything over 4-5 feet (especially thin stripes) and I have no confidence in it. It has served me well over 2,5 years, but it's time to upgrade.

For my use, what are the important upgrades from a S1 to a S2, if any? Should I try to get a good deal on the outgoing models instead? Would a Tangential S1 suit me better than a Drag knife S2 for my specified use?

I know these are brand new machines, and probably only dealers have them, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to get the wrong machine when it's going to last for a long time.

laserman70

My little Roland is getting ready for replacement, rather sooner than later, and I'm very curious about the new 2nd generation S class cutters. Only having used a D series Summe before, I have no experience with any S class cutter.

But Summa in general looks to be highly regarded when it comes to reliability and precision, not to forget good support. Also, I have a Summa dealer fairly nearby, only a few hours away.

I cut mainly just cal and cast lettering vinyl, a bit reflective and very seldom dusted/frosted vinyl. The main problem with the Roland is tracking over longer runs, anything over 4-5 feet (especially thin stripes) and I have no confidence in it. It has served me well over 2,5 years, but it's time to upgrade.

For my use, what are the important upgrades from a S1 to a S2, if any? Should I try to get a good deal on the outgoing models instead? Would a Tangential S1 suit me better than a Drag knife S2 for my specified use?

I know these are brand new machines, and probably only dealers have them, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to get the wrong machine when it's going to last for a long time.

We just bought s160T coming on friday..
we dealt with Phil Johnson. Great to deal with.
cant wait to get it here.
sell the q160 :)

FrankW

There is no difference in cutting quality or main mechanics between S1 and S2. The only thing what could have an influence to tracking is that it is now possible to add additional rollers in the field (instead of needing to order it factory-installed). But I think this is only needed for special applications.

I like the Ethernet-Port. And the coloured display is much better to look at than the old b&w (more contrast and brilliance). But if this is a question of money, I would prefer a tangential S1 to a drag S2.

Haakon

How is the pricing? Has there been a price increase for the S2 if you compare the same models? I got a price list from the supplier, but it was from 2012 and had the S1 models. He did not know how pricing would be on the new range...

ProColorGraphics

I think the Tangential cuts way nicer than the drag knife. I am actually looking into an S2 as with larger rolls, being able to add a few extra pinch rollers would be awesome! I don't feel (4) rollers is quite enough on 54" wide media.

Haakon

Nicer on standard lettering vinyl (cal/cast)? Or where the T version is meant to excel? Thick/difficult materials like reflective etc?

ProColorGraphics

I do a lot of print/laminate/cut material. It is definitely better for that. I also like it better for just cut lettering. I just think it cuts nicer overall. It was weird to see it work the first time though after only using a drag knife before.

MikeD

for cutting small characters, a tangential knife is best.
Consider a take-up with your purchase.
The OPOS-CAM is an actual camera that finds the marks.

Haakon

Received quotes on the S2 cutters today, and it looks like this:

S275D-2E $6053
S275T-2E $8062
S2120D-2E $8062
S2120T-2E $10753

Now I'm perfectly fine with the size of my 24" Roland, and I have based my setup on 24" rolls. Very seldom do I make lettering larger than 23" in height, and the times I have had to do it I could separate the text in horizontal panels.

So with the price being the same, I guess the choice would be between a S75 Tangential or a S120 drag knife cutter. Does the S75 have more than 2 pinch rollers? My Roland has only 2 and it could need a middle one I feel.

FrankW

S-75 has 2 pinch wheels, but I think you can request one from the factory with additional rollers.

You can order additional rollers. But, and thats new on the S2, it is possible to add additional rollers in the field (should be done by a technician), no need to be factory installed.

KaranGrewal

so I was told by local summa rep that opas - cam can not read barcode. only opas - X can .. anyone printing barcode and then cutting on summa.

FrankW

The name is OPOS, not opas. I've done that, works fine. The RIP-Software needs to support it.