• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Have searched the forum - looking for advice for my direct setup/application. I am trying to fix my Versacamm for cutting issues - but I do a lot of smaller logo decals and thinking a Summa S2 T75 is the way to go.

Here is my setup - please let me know the easiest way to operate a new Summa right out the box as I am looking at getting an S2 T75 ASAP.

Design:
iMac
and Illustrator (CS6 old version)

My understanding is if I want to make 50 decals - I need to design all 50 decals in Illy and add the Summa reg marks in the actual design so after I lam and load into the Summa, it sees and will cut all 50 - correct? Which Plugin works with this older version of Illy and an iMac?

Rip:
Versaworks on a Windows computer that is only dedicated to run my printer. I normally Flatten/save as .eps in Illy for my logo decals. Does this change since VW won't be doing the cutting?

Print:
Roland Versacamm SP300V

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have used my Roland workhorse for years (has new heads as well) but the cutting function is causing me to lose business and lots of money. Thinking I just need to bite the bullet and get a Summa since I do so many smaller, thick, laminated decals. If I pull the trigger, I need to be up and running immediately so just trying to prepare for my exact setup to get going.

Thank you, I appreciate your time!

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Use GoSign to drive the summa and the use GoSign tools in Illustrator to add your fiducials. Save a cut file PDF and the Print File, then send it through versaworks.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Would it be MacSign for my iMac Illustrator?

Then GoSign on my Windows based computer to drive the Summa machine?

Sorry I know nothing about any of this setup - hence the thread :)

Thanks!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

You would use MacSign to send the cut files to the Summa, and can use either the Summa cutter tools or GoSign cutter tools plug-in for Illustrator to add the registration marks. RIP and print will be done in Versaworks, so that part of the process won't change.

The S2 was replaced with the S3 Series a year ago now, and there aren't any new S2T75's available for purchase, so you may need to find a used unit if you're set on getting an S2. We(Airmark) have some S3T75's in stock and there are rebates available on those for the Printing United show in a couple weeks.

Feel free to contact me if you want to pick my brain on the differences between the S2 & S3, or to discuss the workflow in more detail, and I would be happy to help however I can.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

jerry369

Design:
iMac
and Illustrator (CS6 old version)

My understanding is if I want to make 50 decals - I need to design all 50 decals in Illy and add the Summa reg marks in the actual design so after I lam and load into the Summa, it sees and will cut all 50 - correct? Which Plugin works with this older version of Illy and an iMac?

Download the MAcOS Plugin for AI CS6 from this link at Summa: https://www.summa.com/media/51pkfgay/summacs6mac.dmg

To install drag "SummaCS6mac.aip" file into the Plug-ins folder of Illustrator CS6.
Put all graphic in a layer named "Print Data", kiss cut data in a layer named "Kiss-cut" and through cut data in a layer named Thru-cut, save as PDF file. Open it with GoSign on Windows. that's all.

If regmarks are not automatically recognized when importing document in GoSign, edit the "Import Document" Action in GoSign and check the "All layers" option in the "Search regmarks" command

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
I apologize - I have CS5 (not 6) - is there a different link for CS5 as that plugin will not load when I open Illy after I drag into the Illustrator Plug-ins folder.

Thank you!!

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Thank you! Does the attached look correct? I clicked on the OPOS, it added the 4 Reg Marks and the bottom rectangle black bar. Layers - I have Print Data on the bottom, Thru-cut above that, then it added the Reg layers. I don't need a kiss-cut.

Save this file as a PDF? Print in VW on my roland, lam, then load to my new Summa S3, open GoSign on my Windows computer running the printer/cutter - and it should read those reg marks?

Thanks!

Attachments

• summasetup.png
    summasetup.png
    789.2 KB · Views: 42

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Got it - I did save it as a PDF - wanted to make sure my layers were correct because I know in VW the CutContour had to be above the design layer.

Looks like I have to use MacSign on my extra iMac to run the cutter - as my dedicated CPU for my Roland runs XP and Summa said they don’t have a GoSign for that OS.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Got it - I did save it as a PDF - wanted to make sure my layers were correct because I know in VW the CutContour had to be above the design layer.

Looks like I have to use MacSign on my extra iMac to run the cutter - as my dedicated CPU for my Roland runs XP and Summa said they don’t have a GoSign for that OS.
XP? Its time to upgrade!