• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2T-140

Gary Wiant

I'm trying to do some research on a Summa S2T-140 but the videos on line are pretty bad, I have only found 1 that has any talking and explaining features, and it isn't great. The others just have music, I know they die cut. I'm try to convince my wife to get the Summa T over the Graphtec FC 8600 but with the videos all playing music her first response was I bet it is loud or they wouldn't have the loud music covering the sound. Out only experience with true tangential cutters are the old Gerber's I think it was the 4B but if you remember those cutters they made an awful racket.

Thanks
Gary

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have a S2-160T. At my job before my business we had a graphtec and I hated it. When I started my business I got a GCC Jaguar and it was great, we just wanted more precision, speed, and functions. The Summa is not loud in comparison to any of the cutters I've owned or have tested.

All the functions are awesome and we'll worth the investment.

Gary Wiant

Thanks, we like our Graphic, it's just starting to get old. I saw most of those I'm looking for something more like a product release, or video at a show. Something showing the features of the machine, I really haven't heard of many issues with them, I'm sure they have problems but you don't hear about a lot of problems, or consistent issues that could be a problem.

Thanks again

ProColorGraphics

I couldn't stand the graphtec I had either and actually returned it. I am using the S class T series, first gen, and love it!! I don't think it is that loud. The most accurate cutter I have used.

ericm

we recently got the summa S2 160T Cam
definitely not loud but super accurate we just did a job with 2500 decals and it was spot on ! we did get the take up reel option to if you need a video let me know next time I do a large decals job I'll video it and post it

Gary Wiant

Ok so we purchased the S2T140. I'm happy with the purchase except I'm a little concerned about my print & cut workflow. With my Mimaking JV300 -160 &Graphic FC7000 -130 I design in Signlab, cut from Signlab VPM and print through Rasterlink, I'd do it all With Signlab but at the time of purchase Signlab didn't have a driver for the JV300 and the fact that rasterlink allows for spot color replacement.

My problem is I can not send OPOS XY marks to Rasterlink through Signlab so I'm going to need to export designs from Signlab into Corel (using the Summa's WinPlot and Cutter Design Tools) to apply the registration marks, the import it into Rasterlink to print it & then use Win Plot to contour cut it. It just seems like a lot of messing around with software I really don't know at all.

What is everyone else using for print & cut workflow?

I'm probably going to post this on another forum so I can get more responses

Christian @ 2CT Media

Ok so we purchased the S2T140. I'm happy with the purchase except I'm a little concerned about my print & cut workflow. With my Mimaking JV300 -160 &Graphic FC7000 -130 I design in Signlab, cut from Signlab VPM and print through Rasterlink, I'd do it all With Signlab but at the time of purchase Signlab didn't have a driver for the JV300 and the fact that rasterlink allows for spot color replacement.

My problem is I can not send OPOS XY marks to Rasterlink through Signlab so I'm going to need to export designs from Signlab into Corel (using the Summa's WinPlot and Cutter Design Tools) to apply the registration marks, the import it into Rasterlink to print it & then use Win Plot to contour cut it. It just seems like a lot of messing around with software I really don't know at all.

What is everyone else using for print & cut workflow?

I'm probably going to post this on another forum so I can get more responses

May I ask why you need to use signlab if you have coreldraw? If you are not using Signlab as a RIP you can do everything in Corel with rasterlink.

Gary Wiant

Thank you Pat.

A few reasons.
I purchased Corel for the clipart & to be able to open files brought in by a customer and I really don't know what I'm doing in it.
I've been using Signlab for years and I'm actually pretty good getting it to do what I want.
Once Signlab comes out with drivers & profiles I'm probably going to switch back to Signlab.
I feel Signlab is a much better program for creating sign layouts. It's kind of like business, pick one think and do it well. Corel isn't sure if it is a sign, website design, photo editing or desktop publishing program. Signlab is designed for signs and I like that.
This may not make sense to a lot of people but when I'm creating a thousand dollars sign for a customer, and they are setting in my office to improve / make changes to the artwork, I'd prefer to not use the same program that their teenage kid has.

TomK

Thank you Pat.

A few reasons.
I purchased Corel for the clipart & to be able to open files brought in by a customer and I really don't know what I'm doing in it.
I've been using Signlab for years and I'm actually pretty good getting it to do what I want.
Once Signlab comes out with drivers & profiles I'm probably going to switch back to Signlab.
I feel Signlab is a much better program for creating sign layouts. It's kind of like business, pick one think and do it well. Corel isn't sure if it is a sign, website design, photo editing or desktop publishing program. Signlab is designed for signs and I like that.
This may not make sense to a lot of people but when I'm creating a thousand dollars sign for a customer, and they are setting in my office to improve / make changes to the artwork, I'd prefer to not use the same program that their teenage kid has.

Flexi Cloud, $49 a month for the full blown package, drive your printers and your cutters from one app.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
You're very welcome, Gary! We appreciate your business and are looking forward to working with you!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.