• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2T160 cuts in Flex mode with setting to Flex mode not selected

Gary1

Hi Everyone.
I emailed this question to ND Graphics tech and it's been over 1.5 hrs with no email back. I was told it could be up to 3 hours.
I have printed media in the cutter and 3 out of 3 jobs it cut on Flex mode.
I designed in Illustrator, then sent to WinPlot. Color is set to Black and Flex cut is set to Red lines. Send work to cut and it's doing a Flex cut. Leaving little tabs through out the
cut lines. Brand new blade is also used. I rebooted the cutter after checking what the settings were set to then rebooted the pc. Started the job again and same thing happened
again. Any place I should be looking at?

Gary1

you should be kiss cutting

Kiss Cut is just vinyl
Flex Cut includes paper backing
I know that. What I am saying is that the equipment and software is set to kiss cutting but it's acting like it's doing a flex cut. The cutting head is moving then stopping then moving. Leaving little tabs. I do not want to Flex Cut. Somewhere for some reason the cutter is doing a Flex cut when all options for Flex cut are turned off. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with Optimize curves. I will turn this off and see how the knife performs.

Gary1

Check that the machine is not set to do that, check flex cut on the control panel of the Summa
Already did all that. Checked the software Summa Cutter Control and the panel on the cutter. I think It has something to do with Optimize Curves. Although the last job run cut fine and didn't leave any snags. Thanks for the suggestions. I will pay more attention next time if Optimize Curves is on or not. I use SignLab 98% of the time and never had an issue like this happen.

DonutSlinger

Premium Subscriber
I know that. What I am saying is that the equipment and software is set to kiss cutting but it's acting like it's doing a flex cut. The cutting head is moving then stopping then moving. Leaving little tabs. I do not want to Flex Cut. Somewhere for some reason the cutter is doing a Flex cut when all options for Flex cut are turned off. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with Optimize curves. I will turn this off and see how the knife performs.
Our s2 would sometimes decide to enable flex cut without selecting it and visa versa. Restart the machine verify flexcut is off in the profile on the machine, or if the profile on the machine changed. Restart the program and Create new cut jobs without the flexcut option and see if that fixes.

Also install any firmware updates

Gary1

Our s2 would sometimes decide to enable flex cut without selecting it and visa versa. Restart the machine verify flexcut is off in the profile on the machine, or if the profile on the machine changed. Restart the program and Create new cut jobs without the flexcut option and see if that fixes.

Also install any firmware updates
Did all that. Haven't checked firmware updates but I finally got in contact with ND and since Winplot is no longer supported, there wasn't to offer. So I suggested the problem could be with Optimize curves and the tech agreed. I removed this and there were no more tabs. It was never doing a Flex cut but it sure mimicked it. Only difference is it didn't cut through the paper backing. When ever Optimize curves is on even in SignLab, it performs terrible. I will get on the ball GoSign and learn it.