• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S3 160T - contour cuts w/ white ink way off

wrapz.be

Hey

So I'm in a bit of a struggle.
I print labels for a client on gold vinyl with white ink on my HP latex 630W.

Printing on Oracal 751c - Gold Metallic
Laminating with Oraguard 215

Contour cuts are sometimes perfect and spot on, but sometimes way off.

I feel like the summa has issues reading the barcode / marks with the white ink around it.

Any tips and tricks?

If u look at the pictures, the sides of the vinyl are cut really good and towards the center teh cuts are almost half a centimeter off and totally unusable.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 56

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little

Try starting with these. Watch them then do the procedure. They are not in any order.. The length calibration was way off on mine.

If the printer is reading the barcode, and pulling the correct cut file, then the white ink is not the problem. Look closely where the file is messing up, maybe that cut line if off in the design file. I have done that also.

if you send me the file I will look at it for you.

wrapz.be

Try starting with these. Watch them then do the procedure. They are not in any order.. The length calibration was way off on mine.

If the printer is reading the barcode, and pulling the correct cut file, then the white ink is not the problem. Look closely where the file is messing up, maybe that cut line if off in the design file. I have done that also.

if you send me the file I will look at it for you.

The plotter is reading the barcode and the registration marks, but I see it needs a lot more time to read it compared to regular vinyl.
And sometimes it will not find a registration mark.

stickerhed

Hey

So I'm in a bit of a struggle.
I print labels for a client on gold vinyl with white ink on my HP latex 630W.

Printing on Oracal 751c - Gold Metallic
Laminating with Oraguard 215

Contour cuts are sometimes perfect and spot on, but sometimes way off.

I feel like the summa has issues reading the barcode / marks with the white ink around it.

Any tips and tricks?

If u look at the pictures, the sides of the vinyl are cut really good and towards the center teh cuts are almost half a centimeter off and totally unusable.

I have the same plotter, I don't use the black lines in front and behind print, just the squares. Just the OPUS marks not the OPUS XY. When I do I have the same problem. If it reads that line wrong anywhere it distorts the cut file

Saturn

Aging Member
Yeah, unless you are running wide material on a hot latex printer, the front and back bars shouldn't really be necessary. I use the barcode, but only have it read the dots (opos x). I think the bar can be problematic in many cases. I would guess that it's trying to read both in the gold area and the white area and that's skewing whatever baseline it's trying to set.

Also, play around with the OPOS sensitivity setting. Bump it up or down 10-15 and see if it started to read a little more reliably.

DonutSlinger

Premium Subscriber
We had this same issue. A few things to look into.
1. Page spacing when using opas xy. The front edge would catch and bend slightly when reading the black line giving bad readings. Either increase or decrease page spacing until it no longer catches or dont us opas xy when sending a cut job.

2. The white area in front of the black line seems very thin it needs more space. Also the white area around each mark looks small, try increasing.

3. Calibrate the sensor for the material and mark. We were able to cut metallic like this without white marks once properly calibrated with reliable accuracy. Also double check the mark colors are rich black.

Saturn

Aging Member
Excellent advice DonutSlinger.

Agree that there needs to be more space between sheets if you're using xy, especially if it's cutting them off as it goes. And yeah, I don't know if it's possible, but the sensor is going to hit the metallic AND the white AND the black bar, so adding a longer front area of white might be necessary. Again though, I'd absolutely drop xy/xy2 and just read the regmarks (opos x.) It's not going to help or add accuracy unless you're experiencing bowing of the material (which you shouldn't be.)

DonutSlinger

Premium Subscriber
we don't use the XY line anymore but the software we use always creates them, and so we have to manually change each send job to not ready those. nearly all of our problems went away after changing that.

jerry369

2. The white area in front of the black line seems very thin it needs more space. Also the white area around each mark looks small, try increasing.

To avoid reading errors, there must be a gap of at least 10 mm above and below the OPOSXY line, also the side regmarks must be aligned with the barcode line and not below as in the posted image