• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Swapping Rollers On Manual Laminator

JLD984

I have a manual laminator which has been a bit exposed to the elements and the top roller has tiny cracks all through it (bottom roller is perfect). This isn't a problem mounting prints onto substrates but is a problem if I ever use it to laminate. Has anybody swapped the top and bottom rollers before? I think I might have heard over the years it's complicated.

greysquirrel

You probrably could have them swapped out but the rollers are typically the most expensive part of the unit...a cold, manual laminator is typically inexpensive...it may make more sense to just buy new.
I have seen people use thin liquid silicone to re-seal the crascks then use a very fine sandpaper to finish....
now what I might do...is refinish and swap the top for the bottom...

JLD984

Thanks, but if it's possible to swap them I'm just best to do that than spend $1000 on a new one. If the cracks are in the bottom roller it won't matter because I always have a hard substrate beneath what I'm laminating.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
What width mounter/laminator do you have?

I'm in your general area and have a brand new in crate 1600mm wide unit I'm looking to part with, as I ended up buying a Royal Sovereign soon after and never unpacked the manual one.
I also have our slightly older 1300mm wide manual mounter up for grabs also.

Jburns

hello,

Checking to see if you did the Roller Swap, and how it turned out? I am thinking of the same for my Drytac/

Jburns

Well I went ahead and did it! Pretty straight forward if you are mechanically inclined. Bottom roller is/ was in perfect shape.

Model was a Drytac 26" cold roll laminator. I made a video of the steps and will put together if anyone is interested. awesome.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 116
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 106

Jburns

Ok - I will have to put them together into one- short video--on my Iphone. I will try an get done this weekend.