• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Table Surface

DizzyMarkus

Do you think glass is a good working surface for a weeding,cutting table surface? I think I can get a 4x8 sheet from a buddy that has a glass shop cheap. He takes stuff like plate in for salvage. Or would those of you that have tried explain if its a good surface or no-- This may seem like a petty question to some, but just looking for those with the experience and valueable input. The peers on this forum seem very knowledgeable and helpful -- so thank you in advance

Markus

Salmoneye

I think glass is the best surface. Squeegees ride perfectly and you can feel exactly how deep you are cutting through something or if you are all the way through it, very precise. You will go through blades quicker but cutting, mounting... will be heaven.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you -- I wondered about the cutting and going through blades. I cut a few items on a small piece and it was soooo smooth and glide"y". I also thought about possibly adding a light under it for a light table. Just incase I ever needed one as I am going to have to build a table anyhow :0)

thank you,
Markus

Last edited:

2B

We have both, glass & expanded PVC

1/4" temped glass for the weed (here we have lights mounted under the glass to weed easier) & transfer tables. yes you will use more blades but it really is not that noticeable and keep a couple different blades, 1 dull for straight and 1 sharp for the contour cutting.

for the work tables use the 6mm PVC, takes the abuse and no worries if something gets dropped on them

Sticky Signs

I use glass and I like it a lot. Only use stainless steel blades on it. Very sharp blades will scratch a little but not enough to worry about. Do yourself a favour and make the table a bit wider than your media. So if you're using 54" media, make the table at least 55" wide. This will make your life so much easier.

DizzyMarkus

I am using a Designjet 5500ps so 42" is max for now, well and a older Vinyl Express 24" cutter. Thank you for the tip -- is there harm in making it larger? I was just going to make it 4x8 ;0) The lights are 4'ers as well.
Would it be possible to get a photo for example purposes from those that are using glass? I apoligize if I am too new here to be asking for that kind of help :0) I have gotten out of the carpentry trades after many years so I should be able to come up with something. I like ot wingit hehe

Thank you all,
Markus

and might I add what a vast knowledge base this forum has and a gift to the community. I have learned a ton from simply reading :thankyou::signs101: