• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tablet PC for Illustrating?

Joe Diaz

So I have been eying a Wacom Cintiq for quite a while now. I already have a Wacom not a Cintiq though. What appeals to me about the Cintiqs is that you actually illustrate directly on the screen. That seems more intuitive to me. Something about drawing on a pad and looking up at a screen, doesn't feel right to me. I like what I have, but actually seeing the marks underneath my pen is a very appealing feature.

Anyway I've been investigating Windows 7 too. We just purchased a new computer for our front office with win7 on it. It should be in next week. I've been noticing the touch screen and multi touch capabilities on Windows 7. That is when I started looking at tablet pc's. My laptop is about 5 years old now. I'm going to need to replace it soon. So I was wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone.

I know that some of these tablets can handle illustrating programs like Corel Painter and Photoshop, although the level of pressure response isn't as great as a wacom tablet.

Some of these newer tablet pcs have the stylus and the multi touch capability and come with windows 7. One HP I'm looking at is only $800. That's $200 less then the smallest Cintiq, plus it's a laptop.

Anyway, I've never owned a tablet pc/notebook before. Is there anyone here that uses one? and is there anything you can tell me to look out for?

GK

I think there was a thread regarding this a few weeks ago. I can tell you first hand from owning both a Modbook and a Cintiq 21ux that they are night and day. The Modbook is a great tablet notebook, it does a great job for on the road and quick touchups but isn't even close to the level of the Cintiq. It does not detect pressure the same way, it is not as sensitive or responsive, can't detect tilt when using different brushes, and can't change out the stylus (or the nibs for other ones such as the spring one or felt) The biggest disadvantage I noticed came when using Painter and Illustrator. Hope that helps.

Joe Diaz

I think there was a thread regarding this a few weeks ago. I can tell you first hand from owning both a Modbook and a Cintiq 21ux that they are night and day. The Modbook is a great tablet notebook, it does a great job for on the road and quick touchups but isn't even close to the level of the Cintiq. It does not detect pressure the same way, it is not as sensitive or responsive, can't detect tilt when using different brushes, and can't change out the stylus (or the nibs for other ones such as the spring one or felt) The biggest disadvantage I noticed came when using Painter and Illustrator. Hope that helps.

Yes it does!:thumb:

I just did a search and found the older post you were talking about too. That was also helpful. Before I just searched in the "Computer Hardware" section but I found one in the General Sign Making section.

The one thing I don't like about the Modbook or Motion Tablet PC is that they both don't appear to have a keyboard. (I also don't like the price:ROFLMAO: All though I'm sure it is worth it.:thumb:) Replacing my 5 year old laptop, is a main priority. So I guess at this point I'm wondering If I should get a tablet PC/laptop, or just get a plain ordinary laptop instead, and later on in the future when I have the extra funds get the Wacom.

GK

When you are ready to buy (if you go the Cintiq route) keep on eye on the discounts section @ NAPP. I was able to get a 10% discount on my 21ux through them.

Master's Touch

GK that is good news....I have a cintiq 12wx, and I really like it....I just wish it was bigger...so I am eyeing that 21, which is weird, because when I had the 12x12 intuos 2 I felt like that was too big.

Using it is definitely intuitive, and the learning curve is much less than the plain tablet. I love mine, even though I don't get to just play with it as much as I'd like.