• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tech needed in MI [Roland sp-300]

I am in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area of Michigan... I have some serious issues with my Roland sp-300 and need to find a reliable tech in the area that knows what they are doing. The last two tech's I had check out my stuff were on the phone more times to Roland asking them how to do what they are supposed to know how to do and its just flat out frustrating.

:thankyou:

Dave L.

I'm sure the folks here can help you with most of the problems you'll encounter. Just be sure to post the specifics of what your seeing....And be sure to post any helpful info you can provide to anyone else...kind of a barter system:Cool 2:

Charlie J

Nothing but problems with Wensco. They don't know jack, the tech came over was on the phone with Roland every 5 minutes to have the Roland folks walk him through changing my ink pump. No thanks, trying to avoid that again if I can help it.

I'm sorry to hear that. The one's in Bloomington have been pretty knowledgeable. I usually get most of my tech work done through Chicago.

Where can I get the Service Manual for this machine>? I thought I read somewhere that it was available in the forum. I think its just a problem with the print head and I'm going to take it apart myself, give it a soak and see if that helps.

What are the issues you are having with the SP300? Do you have misting issues, ink drop ouit, or banding?? Before you remove the head (and you MUST realign both heads after wards), do a test print. See which head is (or may be) bad. Use your swabs (NOT Qtips!!) soaked in the cleaning solution (do not use alcohol!) to clean the head(s). You may have a bad scratch on the head (visible on the head bottom)- if you have a scratch there is nothing you can do but replace it (now $895 list price). Try a power clean (uses quite a bit of ink but works well in a pinch). You didn't say what ink you are using, this is at times an issues with "overspray" and other print issues (ie: high shot count on the head. Try a very GOOD cleaning before you replace the head and save yourself some money. Good luck.

Opps! Sorry, just a couple more things... check your caps - these may be worn out and these are a consumable item ($25 each..and replace BOTH). If you have a SP 300 or SP 300V that is older, you may have the old style pump that will need replaced. Look at the pump area, if you see any ink leakage the pump is bad and MUST be replaced, This should be done by a Roland Tech as there are settings in the printer that must be changed (other wise the pump runs backwards). Most likely...check/replace the caps about every 12-18 months to save yourself future print problems. Cheers!

the problem is the print head got left over the weekend after a print jammed and the print head failed to dock back on the caps. i've had the pump and the caps changed out last year so that's doesn't seem to be the problem. it won't print any colors on the print test or if it does they are very minimal. i've done the external cleanings over and over with no results. the guys at wensco thought it might be the fuses on the board but those aren't the problem either. so i'm just guessing now that its a print head dried the ink and is now clogging the lines and the nozzles.

thanks for your input.

David S

Open the cap tops and move the print head to the side for the moment.

Put a few drops of cleaning solution on the cap top of the color that you are
having trouble with. Then re-cap the heads and let it sit for about
10-15min followed by a normal cleaning.

You can temporarily clamp off the tube coming out of the bottom of the cap top with a binder clip or something else to make the solvent cleaner pool up slightly in the cap top for more effective cleaning.

You can also pull ink with a syringe through the tube comming out of the bottom of the captop. You can get more suction with the syringe than with the pump during a cleaning. Do a normal cleaning after using the syringe to equalize the pressure in the ink lines again or you may have a temporary drop out.

Make sure that the heads are re-capped completely when you are finished.

If the head is printing anything at all then it is NOT a fuse. To clean your head, I dip (soak) a thick swab into cleaning fluid and press the swab flat against the head and massage the head (pumping up and down) with the fluid - this works the fluid into the head and breaks down the dried ink. This works 99% of the time without using aggressive measures. Take your time (10 minutes or so) and do NOT scrub the head like a toothbrush...pump the fluid...it really works (trust me). Then do a couple medium cleans (or 3 or 4) - this is all a lot cheaper than a new head and having a tech come out to install a new head, align, and perform all other adjustments (ie print/cut adjust) that they should do as a service for you and for your printer. Keep at it. The syringe works as an aggressive measure...try last. Good luck

GSSA-Russ

Roland Service Tech North of Detroit.

If the head is printing anything at all then it is NOT a fuse. To clean your head, I dip (soak) a thick swab into cleaning fluid and press the swab flat against the head and massage the head (pumping up and down) with the fluid - this works the fluid into the head and breaks down the dried ink. This works 99% of the time without using aggressive measures. Take your time (10 minutes or so) and do NOT scrub the head like a toothbrush...pump the fluid...it really works (trust me). Then do a couple medium cleans (or 3 or 4) - this is all a lot cheaper than a new head and having a tech come out to install a new head, align, and perform all other adjustments (ie print/cut adjust) that they should do as a service for you and for your printer. Keep at it. The syringe works as an aggressive measure...try last. Good luck

I agree with this, I would bet it will save you a tech visit. But if doesn't let me know I am in St. Clair Shores MI.