• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

telescoping media

MikeD

anyone have luck keeping media wound concentrically on a core?
I always get vinyl delivered a little telescoped, run it through a printer onto a take-up reel where is gets a bit more telescoped, and then try to run it through a laminator; 150' at a time.
I am running 30" media with 27" laminate and I have the longitudinal slitters centered on 24."
The media feeds through slightly crooked, and although the lamination comes out well, the media does not stay exactly in-line with the longitudinal slitters built into the laminator (SEAL EP-42; looks exactly like a Royal Sovereign.)

If I can't cure the telescoping, I think my only choice is to hand trim the edges; which I do not want to do.

What do you people think? Am I asking too much, or not thinking this through correctly?

Thanks for the help. Any advice is appreciated!
Mike

MikeD

sort of...it telescopes to the left, then the right. I think a chinese yoyo only goes to one side?
I want to add that I just adjusted the rollers, and have close to perfect pressure; equal on both sides.

MikePro

if I ever have telescoped media, i fix it.

stand the roll up on end and slightly unwind until the telescope drops to the floor and re-tighten.

MikeD

that's how I typically fix telescoping too, this particular media always has adhesive bleeding out on the edges, making next to impossible to fix that way...it's almost like I would need to re-wind the entire roll.
Any rewinding products out there?

MikeD

yes...it gets all aver the platen, pinch wheels at the edges, media hold-down tabs and post-heater.
I am actually meeting with some media converters tomorrow in hopes of finding an appropriate media for all of my problematic applications. Relying on a "vendor" to supply me with a good media match is hit or miss...mostly miss. On top of not being familiar with what they sell, they usually provide me with an 8.5" x 11" sample to "test."
This converter sends me free 1/3 rolls of material that I can actually work with. I just started working with them and will probably roll lots of business their way because of customer service as well as the fact that they are knowledgeable about what they sell.