• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the correct way?

wes70

This is sub copy for a sign layout.
Is it Air-Conditioned or Air Conditioned, without the hyphen? I see it used both ways... does it even matter?

I hate overthinkin' this minor sh*t!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To Hyphenate or Not to Hyphenate? Part I

If you're like the rest of us, you have a terrible time trying to remember when to hyphenate compound nouns. For example, why isn't air conditioner hyphenated if air-conditioning is? How does a person keep up when the rules are constantly changing and even the grammar authorities disagree about hyphen placement?

The Gregg Reference Manual (¶ 801-803) provides a few rules of thumb to help us out.¹ Here is a quick summary for your reference:

Compound nouns ending in these words are typically hyphenated:
In: break-in, check-in, drive-in
On: add-on, carry-on, run-on

Compound nouns ending in the these words are typically solid:
Down: breakdown, countdown (exceptions: put-down, step-down)
Out: blackout, burnout, hideout (exceptions: cop-out, falling-out)
Over: hangover, layover (exceptions: comb-over, once-over)
Back: feedback, hatchback, piggyback

Compound nouns ending in these words are solid or hyphenated:
Up: breakup, buildup, pileup―but also―cover-up, mock-up, tune-up
Off: kickoff, layoff, standoff―but also―drop-off, play-off, show-off

Confused yet? I am! The best advice I've heard is to keep a current dictionary handy―or bookmark your favorite online dictionary. If the compound noun doesn't appear in the dictionary as a solid or hyphenated word, it's a safe bet that the individual words should be separated.

Keep in mind that these rules only apply when the words are used as compound nouns, not as verb phrases. For instance, the words get together are treated differently depending on whether they are used as a compound noun or a verb phrase:

Compound noun: Let's plan a get-together.
Verb phrase: Let's plan to get together.

Next week we'll discuss a few additional rules of hyphen placement. In the meantime, keep those dictionaries close!

John Butto

Prepositional Phrase, not a verb phrase.
Fred wrote: Compound noun: Let's plan a get-together.
Verb phrase: Let's plan to get together.