• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The longer I'm in this business the more I believe that nobody who runs for office should be allowed to have the job.

gnubler

Who would want to run for anything these days? Our local school board members got death threats and we only have like 6,000 people in our district. Ridiculous.
I live in a small town also and the antics of the local politicians is pure entertainment! One of them has a restraining order against another and a deputy has to sit in on their meetings. Everyone around here packs heat so no bodyguards are needed. LOL

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I was an elected officer in student government in college. When my kiddo was in 2nd grade I started going to the PTO meetings, and they made me the president. I did that for a year, there was no one to delegate to, and I was doing everything. My family didn't like it so I quit. As I get older, I've developed an allergy to committees of any kind, so I wouldn't dream of getting involved in anything civic now days.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
When I was in high school, I was class president for 3 years. All I did was delegate and stayed outta the limelight. Over the years, I was the head of various things, but the best one was when I became the NorthEast representative for s101 many years ago. What a frickin' joke. People wouldn't go to their own representatives, but ask me to fix things in their area. I wasn't supposed to, but the different reps did nothing. I had told fred, this ain't working. The whole crowd is coming to me and that's YOUR job. I only represent the mid atlantic and northeast. People for a while thought I was running the show. However, I couldn't be fair. If I helped these people, then those people complained. Then when I'd help others, still others would complain. Being a spokesperson or whatever ya wanna call it, like Lincoln said a long time ago...... You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Really true stuff right there.
Very true but politicians are exploiting this fact. Winning is all that matters so they pick the people that they can make happy and use every dirty tactic that they have to reel them in. Manipulating truths and facts to create fear in that group so they can present themselves as the savior.
A good person takes into account that you can't please everyone but tries to make compromises so everyone gets a little which makes things better as a whole. The normal ones never make it in politics because they don't aim to please a particular side, they aim for the middle where nobody feels like they "won" something over the next guy. If they do make it, they look unproductive to each side because they attempt to solve problems rather than win. If you really want to sum it up, the real issue is with so many people that can not accept hard truths. If you can't objectively look at the truth and facts then you can never effectively fix any problems and it becomes a stalemate. That's where we are today. It will never change as long as we continue having the same 2 political "teams" battling to win. It doesn't help that so many people's identities are based on their political affiliation either.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you can find a party or group of people who do not want city blocks burned to the ground, beating the cops down and tying their hands, people citing they are far more important than anyone else, people who separate and announce their rights are more important then your rights, think pillaging is alright for certain individuals, vandalism using homemade bombs and other weapons for killing, attacking schools, movie theaters, hospitals and malls. Once you can stop that without a problems..... that's the party I'll join.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm a member of the chamber but got turned off early on. Myself and a handful of other businesses are on the outskirts of town on what is called "the truck route". Well, the downtown people feel "sorry for us" that we "can't" participate in all the downtown chamber activities. Always trying to pester us into doing this and that, gossiping, lots of drama. One apparently signed me up and planned to pay for me, $150, so I could have a piece of ice to carve for ice carving days last month - like I'm some charity case. I said I don't want a piece of ice, I don't want to carve it. I don't want others to carve it. It was a big deal, I had to call the chamber president and politely decline. Then more gossip about someone else telling the woman who does the banners for this stuff that 'her designs suck' and they want me to do them. Well....WTH...I appreciate the "kind" words but I'm not looking to steal anything away from her, much less 3 banners. So, that was another phone call I had to make. And I'VE NEVER BEEN TO A SINGLE MEETING.

This is why I don't participate. Everyone "knows what's best" for everyone else. I like being alone with the car dealer and the grocery store. No gossip, no drama.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If you can find a party or group of people who do not want city blocks burned to the ground, beating the cops down and tying their hands, people citing they are far more important than anyone else, people who separate and announce their rights are more important then your rights, think pillaging is alright for certain individuals, vandalism using homemade bombs and other weapons for killing, attacking schools, movie theaters, hospitals and malls. Once you can stop that without a problems..... that's the party I'll join.
Vote against the ones who turn it into political ammo and we might actually see that happen one day.