• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The (paper) Printing Industry

Colin

I'm asking those who are familiar with the printing industry, as I am perplexed by something here. I am placing a 1/2 page display ad in a local industry-specific booklet for next year, and the pricing is as follows:

B&W: $195.00
Black + 1 color: $215.00
Black + 2 color: $262.00

a) If the book contains some color, why do they charge extra for it? In other words, if the whole book was B&W, I could see a lower cost vs all color, but the moment it contains color, then why the different fee levels?

b) Why charge for 2 colors over one? It's not like they're screen-printing the book.

I freely admit my ignorance on modern printing methods, but it just seems like a bit of a gouge. Can anyone explain that pricing structure?

Last edited:

bigben

It's fairly easy to explain. It's basically the same method as screen printing. You have your plate per color (cmyk) and maybe another color to match pantone and/or effects. Normaly, print guys have 5 coulors press, but I've saw 8 and 10 colors press. It depend what you have to do.

I worked in that industry for 20 years, the reason is because the color part of the book will only be one section of the book which means that only one out of however many forms there are in the book will be printed in color. For example lets say that its a 32 page book, pages 1-8 and pages 25-32 will print black only and pages 9-31 will print in color. There will be 16 pages on each piece of paper that runs through the press.
Here is a picture of a 24 page book pagination: http://www.bigtimeattic.com/blog/uploaded_images/pagination24_1.jpg
once those sheets are printed they will be folded down to book size and then nested inside each other to make the finished book. Take 3 pieces of paper and fold it down as shown in the picture then number each page just like you see in that picture and put each section into each other and you will see what I mean.
I hope that makes a little sense.

Colin

I think that's clear; I can see how an ad would be charged extra for colour, but why the charge for 2 colors over one? Wouldn't a single colour be the same as a thousand colors, or a color photo? (full colour).

Letterbox Mike

I think that's clear; I can see how an ad would be charged extra for colour, but why the charge for 2 colors over one? Wouldn't a single colour be the same as a thousand colors, or a color photo? (full colour).

Not necessarily. You're assuming these are printed 4-color process (full color) like you'd get from a wide-format digital inkjet or color copier. More than likely these are being printed on a traditional printing press using spot colors, or inks that are actually mixed to match a color, say black, Reflex Blue, and 186 Red, not 4-color process, or CMYK. In theory, it is exactly like screen printing where a plate is made for each color, and each color is printed separately (or in series on one press if it's a 2+ color or drum press). The actual equipment is vastly different from screen printing but it's the same principle.

Or put it into sign terms, they're not printing this on an inkjet, they're doing it in 1,2 or 3 colors cut vinyl. Same idea.