• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The UV Protectant Sheet!

Novadon

LEF2-200
Just curious. I am reading / learning a lot about Printer Maintenance from this site and manuals in general, but little to nothing about using the infamous Roland sheet!

Who uses it? Is it a necessity or not? I understand about lighting and UV, but without this sheet, how can you see what you're doing without adequate (naked) lighting?

And, can one buy some sort of over-the-counter material to use instead of the Roland variety chunk-o-plastic?
$283.41! :eek:

UV rays.jpg

Last edited:

Novadon

LEF2-200
Yikes! I'm retired Navy but not Seal Team 6 affiliated. :oops:

What are we looking at here? Where available? And what if one wears glasses to see?

cornholio

I'm certified Roland tech and never use it. But I also work quickly and never let a opened UV printer unattended.(not only Roland, but also Mimaki, EFI Vutek, Durst. ..)

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm certified Roland tech and never use it. But I also work quickly and never let a opened UV printer unattended.(not only Roland, but also Mimaki, EFI Vutek, Durst. ..)
Finally, helpful info! Would you say it's worthwhile for a novice to try, or just safer to go on and buy the expensive sheet? Or maybe you'd have a spare you'd part with for a reasonable cost...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When I was trained on the Mimaki JFX200, they said I needed to use the sheet every time I open the covers. I've never used it since training unless I'm leaving a cover off while I go to lunch.

Superior_Adam

In reality the ink lines should be black lines to where light does not harden the ink in lines. It would take a long time for standard lights to cure the ink as they are not intense enough. Put a few drops of ink on a piece of paper and see how long it takes to harden. The light should not be getting to the heads either. I have a total of 5 UV printers in my building and have never used a cover like this even though our old Mimaki came with one.

cmoist

I recently had a damper replaced on a new-used LEF-300 by a tech for the exact reason that the manual required this sheet. He gets on site to do the work. No sheet. Asked him about it. Doesn't use it. So the tech call was $50 for a damper and a couple hundred bucks for labor. I'd say it's not required as long as you don't have covers off all day.