• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thick substrate with aluminum face?

Routerguy

Hello all,
I am kind of new but this looks like a really good place for info on signage. I plan to spend more time to help others out with what I can and gain help from you guys. Bringing me to my post, I have a client looking for 1" thick aluminum looking letters.
Is the cost effective approach to lay some up by hand with VHB to marine ply (outdoor application) then route and paint returns? Or is there a material out there already that we can order?

Jake

Mosh

Just order some from Gemini, lots easier and cheaper than messing with it yourself.

theskipman_98

Something similar we did was laminate a thin sheet of brushed aluminum onto 1/2" black PVC. We had a lot of time involved in laminating, letting it cure, setting up the file to put stud holes in backs, and then finally cutting the letter. It did turn out nice but.....

But with the time involved, I agree with Mosh, check Gemini.

J Hill Designs

I do many letters/signs with brushed aluminum lammed to PVC - the time to laminate is negligible (I use mactac IB2107 laminating sheets - basically 17"x22" sheets of double stick high-bond tape) - once you get in a groove, adding stud holes is quick, too...