• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thickness

teamrolex

when buying vinyl, what is :

• thickness - mil vs micron. How many mil = micron ? I see some mention 1 or 2 or 2.5mil and others 70, 80 micron etc . .
  • premium (951) "cast" vs high performance (751) "cast". What's the difference between "cast" and "cal (651, 641, 631 etc . . ?)
  • for Laminates, I see Oracal 210, 240, 290. Let's say if I want thinnest of them all with some UV protection, 240 (1mil) or 293 would be ok ? I see quite common that my print shop stocks 210 and 290 (or GF) as compared with 240.
confusing but many thanks in advance for enlightenment !! :Coffee:

visual800

WHOA!!!!! Where the hell did all those numbers come from? I didn't know we had the thinnest vinyl I would have assumed it was most high performance. Microns? Where is your supplier located? Fellers doesnt offer micron thicknesses.

What are wanting such thin stuff for?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
when buying vinyl, what is :
thickness - mil vs micron. How many mil = micron ? I see some mention 1 or 2 or 2.5mil and others 70, 80 micron etc . .

Mil refers to the US or imperial system of measurement and is 1/1,000 of one inch. 2 mil, for example, is .002". Micron refers to the metric system and is 1/1,000,000 of a meter.

premium (951) "cast" vs high performance (751) "cast". What's the difference between "cast" and "cal (651, 641, 631 etc . . ?)

Cast and high performance used to mean the same thing. High performance, however, may have become co-opted by some manufacturers to mean any film that has a longer life than another film.

Cast film is manufactured by liquefying the vinyl using heat and chemicals and then "casting" it into a sheet. The result is that the sheet is very stable and shrink resistant in its final form. Cal or calendared film is manufactured from vinyl in the form of a soft dough. It is run through rollers to form a sheet. The result is that the sheet is NOT very stable and NOT shrink resistant in its final form. Rather it will always tend to shrink back to its original form.

Casting vinyl is a more expensive process than is calendaring it. It is an inherently superior method which results in a longer life. The results are also thinner than calendared film making it more suitable for curved and uneven surfaces when applied. Most calendared films have chemicals added into their formulas intended to extend the life of the film to compete with the superior features of cast films. The results are mixed.

Think of cast vinyl as a perfect coat of paint with adhesive on its backside. When applied to a surface, it takes on the form of the surface and dries without shrinking. As it ages, it has no tendency to shrink thus breaking its bond to the surface it has been applied to.