• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Third Party Highway Signage

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
So we had a customer that wants to meet up and discuss highway signage for a hotel - we know that there are probably regulated materials we have to use, as well as permitting, but are unsure of how to best go about it.
Does anyone have any experience with placing these, and if so, can you give me an approximate step by step?

SD&F

You need to find out right up front if he is dealing with the signage permitting and if he has all the information. If not you need to have someone who knows exactly what is going on with this job to be dedicated to working with the county/city that you are putting this up in. I am willing to answer any questions, if you have specifics. It is not anything to be intimidated about and understand it will take a little bit of effort. The counties I deal with have signage permitting up on the internet and applications. Start with asking your customer first.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What kind of highway signage are we talking about?

If these are parking lot signs like accessible, stop and other parking lot traffic signs, and they are on private property, then most likely they are not required to be permitted but you might have some code specs you have to meet. If they go on a public street then it would be in your best interest to check city/county and/or state code.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Thanks for the tips - we're meeting with him tomorrow on this - it's for a hotel, and the signage we think he's talking about (from our brief interview) are "hospitality signs" for a divided highway, like:

Bob's Diner
Next Right
-------->

Thing is, if thats what they are, it's a public RoW, and we'll definately have to be dealing with the county on it - can't just bolt one to a 4x4 and call it a day. Gonna be some work on this one. To be honest haven't hung anything on a roadside except coros. Just trying to get some background info on how to approach the meeting with the customer.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
If I'm understanding you correctly, the signs you're describing are typically referred to as General Service Signs and are usually regulated by the DOT if they're in the right-of-way.