• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on...Colorspan 72 UVR

ChiknNutz

Considering this one as posted by Merritt Graphics. However, I've no experience with these, but I like some of the things can be done with it...direct printing to rigid substrates AND rolled goods. However, are there other considerations about these that may not be readily apparent? I've heard that the UV is not as flexible as normal solvent-based inks...is that true? Regarding the printer itself, any particualr pitfalls or benefits? I'm trying to determine what markets I might be able to get into with this that I am missing out on. Do they require daily activity to maintain in good "health" or can it sit for a coupla days? What about overall maintenance? How much are the UV lights when replaced?

Anyway, just looking for any comments on it. Thanks.

thmooch

my last employer had the colorspan flatbed. It ran constantly 8hrs a day Mon-Fri, parked Sat & Sun. The only real thing was if printing a 4'x8' full bleed the operator would have to use a "trailer" at the end (6"-8" x width of same material). Hope this helps some.

ColesCreations

Don't get one to replace your Roland, but it will make a great addition...
From what I have researched, the current generation UV will not replace the solvent printer, but can do some things very well.
Check into the Zund UVjet 215 plus, can pick up a used one fairly reasonable, make sure its a plus, has 6 colors. Not the highest resolution, but solid machines, and you have the Roland for high-res stuff.

http://www.zund.com/media/broschuren/uvjet_215-plus_en_low.pdf

Last edited:

hydo1

I have been running a 72UVX in our shop for a little over a year now so I can give you my impressions of that model. I think the major difference between the UVX and UVR is that the bed on the UVR can only accept 1/4" substrates and the UVX can accept 1/2". We use it to do a lot of banners, vinyl and coroplast signs. We are trying to branch out to do more POP products which would be a good fit for the machine. Print quality is great, but banding is still an issue unless you use the highest quality (and slowest) print mode along with some other tweaks. I usually have to purge the heads and gently wipe them down once a day, but if you are printing less you can probably do it every other day. The lamps run around $600 and I THINK that is for the pair, but confirm with a local supplier. I haven't had to change mine yet. As far as inks go, they are expensive but I find that they last a long time. I have heard that they are getting more flexible but if you are doing wraps I think solvent printers are still the way to go.

ChicagoGraphics

Bulbs can be very expensive, but I'm not sure for the Colourspan, Im sure they are up there in price though. I would buy a service contract right from the get-go, If you were to buy it from Meritt graphics.

Typestries

uv lamps=consumable = not covered under SC. Find a good colorspan dealer like alpha imaging and buy enough ink to get free lamps.