• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips for applying diecut Orajet shapes to diecut PVC?

VicoDrive

We have been doing a handful of diecut letters and we print solid color and diecut on Orajet to apply onto the letters. We do this by peeling off the labels then using a water/alcohol spray and basically just lay it on there and do our best to get things to lay down to the shape perfectly. Sometimes it just wont work and require several reprints and numerous cigarette breaks! Is there an easier method of doing this?

Mosh

First off quit smoking! Second, I cut the print 1/4" larger, apply, trim. I use a fine file to trim the print to size.

VicoDrive

First off quit smoking! Second, I cut the print 1/4" larger, apply, trim. I use a fine file to trim the print to size.

Actually, its not me that does the smoking :) Sometimes we do end up trimming it down after its placed but they dont always come out looking very smooth. Maybe just not using a sharp enough blade? Also some of the images to have a thin outline around it (cartoon characters) so they require a little more exact placement and shouldnt have to trim off too much

Mosh

How thick is the PVC? If it is the 3mil I apply the film and trim the print and plastic all together. 2-3 passes with an exato does the trick.

VicoDrive

How thick is the PVC? If it is the 3mil I apply the film and trim the print and plastic all together. 2-3 passes with an exato does the trick.

Mainly its the half inch PVC. With that and the 3mil, its not really straight edges, lots of curves so using a blade for doing that might not work out too well. May try giving more bleed and cutting down helps us out, thanks!

paul luszcz

We align them using a light table. We normally cut the PVC a bit larger than the vinyl, align the vinyl on the light table so we can see through the transfer paper, peel and stick. Trimming contour shapes is much more difficult than this method.

If you don't have a light table, cut a few "v's" through the transfer paper, with the point of the v just touching the contour cut on the cinyl. align to the PVC using at least three v's and then transfer.

VicoDrive

We align them using a light table. We normally cut the PVC a bit larger than the vinyl, align the vinyl on the light table so we can see through the transfer paper, peel and stick. Trimming contour shapes is much more difficult than this method.

If you don't have a light table, cut a few "v's" through the transfer paper, with the point of the v just touching the contour cut on the cinyl. align to the PVC using at least three v's and then transfer.

We do have a light table, that is a thought though. So you put the art face down with the backing off and drop the PVC shape on top of it? Do you use any water or just go dry?

paul luszcz

We do it dry and face UP.

Lay the PVC on the light table. Peel back the backer sheet to expose an inch or so adhesive on the vinyl. Align the graphic to the PVC, lightly tack the vinyl and then, depending on the size, either squeegee normally (we use felt squeegees) or on very small pieces apply with finger pressure then firmly squeegee. Remove transfer paper normally.

Z SIGNS

When we have prints that are going on shapes we apply the print to the substrate than cut the shape on the router.

VicoDrive

After applying something the other day, I have decided im not going to make it any harder on myself anymore and include some bleed on my diecuts and trim away! Did it once and it really wasnt that bad!

Also had another thought just today, but wouldnt it be a heck of a lot easier than spraying and such to just app tape the art, lay it flat, then drop the PVC cut pieces on top of it? I almost hate myself for never thinking of this before, it makes so much sense! It should work perfectly and without wrinkles and bubbles, correct?

VicoDrive

With an update to my previous post about an idea to try using apptape. Well it worked like a dream!! When pulling the app tape off after its on the PVC, there are some air bubbles that form but they push down easily without need to push them off of the edges. I hate myself for not trying this earlier! The only flaw is that its a little tough to get it perfect on the shape but you get close enough. I tried it twice to be sure and both worked. But what I plan on doing for now on is giving some die cut bleed that Ill trim off manually after. This all will save minutes if not hours for many of the jobs we have had!