• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tips on Domed Tank Guards

One of our employees brought me a tank guard for his motorcycle. It covers the tank where your legs and stomach touch to prevent scratching from zippers etc. Upon inspection I figured out it's just a piece of black vinyl with a clear dome over the top. The company that did the doming did a horrible job as it was extremly thin in the outside areas. He thought we could just cut a piece of vinyl and stick it on and that would protect enough. Instead of another $10 guard that would come off in 8 months again. I told him I could make him the same thing and custom print it and make him 10 at less then $10 each.
He sounded super excited so now I have to make them. He threw the old one away before I got a really good look at it and feel of it. I am wondering do you think soft of hard doming liquid would be the preferred choice? I could see both being good for protection purposes. Maybe the hard even a little better.
But how do these conform after they have hardened?
I am almost thinking the hard might be too stiff to try and bend slightly to the tank. Will the hard crack?
I have never had to apply something like this and was wondering if anyone has experience with domed decals on a cars.

The tank has a slight curve but nothing crazy. Also any tips on vinyl selection would be great. I was thinking a simple air release vinyl maybe with conform. Then I am wondering would the hardened dome be able to peel the air release back some. Would this only shorten the life of the vinyl. Maybe I should use a permanent vinyl with strong adhesive.

Any help would be awesome. Done a couple domed decals but never something with a curve and for protection purposes.
Thanks,
Eric.

S'N'S

I made a tank protector for my bike and used layered Avery 700 and domed with a medium soft dome, but a hard may be ok if it's not much of a curve. The previous ones I bought were very soft.

rjssigns

10 bucks a piece is awfully cheap. You might want to rethink your pricing. My resin carts cost about $25 each and they are only good for about 100 sq in. Now you add in a custom print, contour cutting etc...

If you've never domed anything it's a lot of fussy labor. Be prepared for failures too. They won't all turn out. Anywhere you touch the cut vinyl with bare skin will eff up. I use a tempered glass sheet that I "dial in" with a digital level. Micro-torch and pins for getting rid of bubbles and a clear storage container to cover domed pieces to keep dust out of them.

Might be better served by printing then laminating with 10 or 12mil Convex.

Someone pointed me towards these guys. Gave me some good ideas and easier alternatives. As you suggested he said alot of companies are using a thick laminate now and not doming. I prefer the domed look though. So he is sending me about three different rolls and some others to try for different things. Seems like they have good products just going to depend on price. He also said they have a $129 54" roll of conform medium tack cast vinyl soon. Sounds good. If your doing something on a bike, quad, or helmet (sports or motorcycle) these guys would have something for you. Very friendly too. This is not a vendor shutout as I have not received any product or used any yet.

http://www.substanceincorporated.com/

10 bucks a piece is awfully cheap. You might want to rethink your pricing. My resin carts cost about $25 each and they are only good for about 100 sq in. Now you add in a custom print, contour cutting etc...

If you've never domed anything it's a lot of fussy labor. Be prepared for failures too. They won't all turn out. Anywhere you touch the cut vinyl with bare skin will eff up. I use a tempered glass sheet that I "dial in" with a digital level. Micro-torch and pins for getting rid of bubbles and a clear storage container to cover domed pieces to keep dust out of them.

Might be better served by printing then laminating with 10 or 12mil Convex.

He paid $10 for the ones he bought online. They failed quickly within 8 months. I can get 16oz bottles for $45 at 1ml per square inch that's 1oz for about 30sq.in. Each ones about 90sq.in. after cut and weed. 3oz for each one or so. $5.30 for each in doming liquid. Do 20 at a time and sell the rest online. A little pricey to go this way, but use the right design and they will sell online for $15 each.