• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tired of incompetence...................................................................

JBurton

Signtologist
I feel like I see a lot more typos in news articles and books than I used to. Seems to be a general decline IMO.
Meet the new news team at buzzfeed:
1683311050515.png

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
I've been getting a lot of files lately from "Designers" who don't know about the pantone matching system. They can't understand why a cmyk print doesn't match the RGB colors they speced on their monitors. One of them couldn't understand why we don't print in "RGB ink" instead of CMYK ink.
This is because no graphic design school teaches anything to do with real world output on a substrate. They stop at digital and let them go free to the world to mess with every real printer they encounter. All while themselves claiming they are a full service print shop usually! Just great.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't print in house anymore...but I always used the excuse that the prints are outgassing or drying and it takes time... Even if I could get them ready in an hour.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Here's a good one!

A county ambulance guy came in looking for "874", 4" tall, Impact in silver metallic and one in black. I used Oracal 751 for both. He just came in and said my silver vinyl is terrible. It stretched all over and bubbled and was the worst vinyl he ever worked with. He went on to brag about how he's lettered multiple ambulances in the past and his vinyl was always nice and thick with a laminate on it and this stuff I gave him was just cheap.. He bragged about how he only uses 3M and how nice and thick it is and that it has a nice laminate. Hmmm...I said you must be talking about printed vinyl because all cast in colors is 2mil and there's no separate laminate layer on it.

Being that he's so much more experienced than I am, I'm surprised he didn't know the difference between printed and cut vinyl! And never heard of Oracal? I explained it all to him.

Then he told me what really happened...it was very hot that day and the Bronco was in the sun and he used Windex and expected to be able to slide it around. It stuck immediately and as he pulled it up to re-place it, it stretched. With all his experience, it was shocking to hear. The truck with the black vinyl was in the shade and he got it in the correct spot the first try.

I should probably hire him as an installer, his skills are superior to mine by a long shot!

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
I am sick and tired of files with a clipping mask for every. single. f'in. object. At this point I need a tshirt with Edna Mode on it sayin' NO CANVA.

Attachments

• NOCANVA-001.png
    NOCANVA-001.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 69

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
The zillion clipping mask layers can come from Illy too - it has to do with the PDF settings when you save it as a PDF.

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
Designing your vector logo in Photoshop :rolleyes:

Or how about this one from my early days at Kinko’s - “can you fax a key?”

Johnny Best

I rarely deal with customer files. Now feeling compassion for all of you who go through with this problem. Had to look up what Canva files were.